10 Things I Learned From Being A Lifeguard | The Odyssey Online

10 Things I Learned From Being A Lifeguard

Learning to save a life has been the most important lesson for me.

258
10 Things I Learned From Being A  Lifeguard
Pool Watch Inc.

I guarded at a theme park over the summers, and now I guard at an indoor pool year round and I can honestly say that it has changed my life for the better. Yes, I have learned a lot of funny things and just facts that a lot of guards can relate to, but the most important thing I learned is how to be able to save someone. The feelings of being a first responder is the most terrifying, but exhilarating thing in my life because I know that my competency is the difference between life or death.

1. Tan lines are a killer.

You will always have the awful tan lines in the summer- even from your sunglasses. I wear a t-shirt over my bathing suit where I work, so tell me how I still get the tan lines from my one piece. Fun fact- you can't even them out so don't even try to lay on the beach because there's no chance.

2. Apparently, people expect you to be a babysitter for their children.

Last time I checked, "watching small children who can't swim while parents sit on their phones" isn't part of my job description. I have parents literally ask me to watch their child so they can go buy food. Are you kidding me? My responsibility is to watch hundreds of guests in a pool, not your one screaming child.

3. You can never run out of sunscreen.

I have never seen my job not have a giant tub of it available for the whole team. Even when the huge pump breaks, it will somehow get smothered all over me and I will be shining all day. No need for perfume, because the scent of sunscreen will be never-ending.

4. The phrases "stop splashing!" and "walk!" are part of my everyday vocabulary.

I don't understand how many times that can come out of my mouth. I feel like whenever I yell "walk" it just makes kids want to run more.

5. You don't have to worry about getting wet because there's never a day you don't wear a bathing suit.

My bathing suit shorts over my one piece dry so fast at this point I can't even complain if I get splashed. Standing outside in the sun makes it so easy for me to dry off, and then once I am dry I'll want to get splashed again because it's so hot.

6. You would never think someone excreting bodily fluids in a pool is a good thing until you get to sit there and not guard because they shut that down.

We have code words for certain situations. Rainbow=vomit. Babe ruth= poop. Hearing those words over the radio is great because now I can take a breather from the hundreds of people swimming in my water. Don't get me wrong, it's still disgusting- but if you're ever sad just think that your bodily excretions can shut down an entire pool.

7. The sentence "a storm is coming" is the most beautiful thing you will ever hear.

I am trained to listen for thunder and once I hear it, it's the most satisfying thing ever. Not going to lie, lightning is scary because it's dangerous but it's such a good feeling to leave early and make everyone go home.

8. Elderly people will park their cars and wait outside at 5:45 am to get lap lanes for when we open the doors at 6 am.

I pull into the parking lot and there are more patrons than lifeguards that early in the morning. Tell me how someone has enough energy to swim over 1000 yards at 6 am. Don't even get me started on the water aerobics and Zumba group.

9. People watching.

I learned that it is so easy to watch families and certain people swimming in the water while scanning my water. There's just so many people it gets hard for me to not watch what goes on around me. The best part is- nobody can tell I'm watching them because I'm wearing sunglasses.

10. Being a lifeguard in the winter is the best.

I get to go to work in sweatpants, and then while I'm inside I get to wear shorts and a bathing suit at 80 degrees. Also, the water temperature is higher in the winter, so if I really wanted to do some laps on my break the water is around 80-83 degrees.