10 Things I Learned at the 2016 Pennsylvania Conference for Women

"Nine-thousand women (and a few brave men) in one place is absolutely beautiful."

58
Stephanie Michel

The Pennsylvania Conference for Women is the largest women's conference in the state, and this year, approximately 9,000 women attended the conference, which took place on Oct. 6. Keynote speakers from the event included Mindy Kaling, Adam Grant, Annie Clark, Anita Hill, and Abby Wambach. Here's my list of the top 10 things I learned at the 2016 Pennsylvania Conference for Women.

10. Mindy Kaling is just as beautiful in person.

Photo credit, Prasadi Dangolla

“When I started working at The Office, there were almost no shows on TV with female leads. And since then, in 10 years, there’s Veep, there’s Broad City, there’s Parks & Recreation, there’s 30 Rock. All my favorite shows have female leads" ~Mindy Kaling at the Pennsylvania Conference for Women. First off, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of The Office, watching and listening to Mindy's interview in person was an amazing experience for me. However, Mindy, in my mind, is still and probably always will be, Kelly Kapoor. Watch Mindy's full interview with Lesley Jane Seymour.

9. KIND granola bars taste really good.

The combination of real-tasting chocolate and sea salt was just what I needed to keep me energized throughout the day, especially with all that walking around looking for free stuff. But, if you haven't tried these granola bars, they are really tasty!

8. I need to get my life together on LinkedIN. Like yesterday.

As a senior in college, part of me wanted to use my experience at the PA women's conference to at least make an attempt to network for my future career. Several recruiters were running tables promoting their businesses at the conference. All of the professional women I met asked to add me on LinkedIN and said that this is where they go when they hire. At least I have a LinkedIN, but ladies, now is the time to do some major updating!

7. Fancy Nancy lip gloss by Mary Kay may just be my shade.

Photo credit: Leah Williams and Mary Kay

I was a bit hesitant to visit the Mary Kay stand since I've never been a make-up person. However, the woman representing Mary Kay could tell I was hesitant, so she picked out a subtle lip gloss for me to try. At the end of the conference, she recognized me and asked how I liked Fancy Nancy. I hadn't tried it yet at the time, but I want her to know that Fancy Nancy is fantastic.

6. We need more givers. Thank you, Adam Grant.

Adam Grant's speech was one of those "you really had to be there" to experience the meaningful moment type of things. Any attempt made at explaining the speech will inevitably be less great than the speech itself. You can actually watch the full speech on YouTube. But, for those of you who attended Adam's speech, you know if you're a giver and how amazing that should feel.

5. Wine.

Since I'm still new at being 21, the PA women's conference was my first wine-tasting experience (thanks to Fine Wine and Good Spirits). It will not be my last.

4. Career coaching is not the same as a mock interview.

Thought I was going in for some interview practice. Ended up talking about my personal life obstacles and indecisiveness in my career goals. This was definitely not what I anticipated, but the experience helped reassure me that a career in the writing/editing field is right for me.

3. Pictures, pictures, and more...pictures.

Photo Credit: Shift up

So many sponsors will take awesome photo shoots with you! Want a professional picture for your LinkedIN profile picture? Zulily's got you. Interested in creating a gif with props? Tierney has your back! Shift up, an organization that helps "pave the way for the future generation of female race car drivers," took the above picture of my friend and me.

2. I have the opportunity to be a part of The Women's Film Festival.

As I was walking out of the women's conference, a woman asked my friend and me to participate in an interview to briefly discuss our experience at the PA women's conference, which will be a part of the Women's Film Festival!

1. Nine-thousand women (and a few brave men) in one place is absolutely beautiful.

Photo credit: Leah Williams

If you get the opportunity to attend the Pennsylvania Conference for Women next year, definitely go! I went with an amazingly talented, beautiful, and diverse group of women, and I would attend again in a heartbeat.

Did you attend the 2016 Pennsylvania Conference for Women or have you attended the conference in previous years? What were your favorite moments? What are you looking forward to most next year? Share your experience by leaving a comment below.