10 Things To Know For College | The Odyssey Online

10 Things To Know For College

First year or last, keep these tips in mind when going to college.

58
10 Things To Know For College
Cuded

It’s that time again! Time to head back to college. While much of this list is useful to freshmen, there are some things of which even upperclassmen need to be reminded. Here are 10 useful tips when preparing to go (back) to college!

1. Dorms Are Tiny

Not everyone has this issue, but I know for me, I always get used to the space of being home between years, thus I always over pack! While you may really want to bring that giant chair, you just might not have the space! And in rooms where you can’t move the furniture? Well just forget about bringing extra furniture; there won’t be space at all for it.

To any new Freshmen or transfer students who’ve not lived in dorms before: I cannot stress enough how small dorm rooms are. And if you’re in a triple or quad? The room may be bigger, but there are more people to share with, thus you still don’t have a whole lot of space.

2. Clothing

This is where I always over-pack. I bring everything that I have. Bit of advice for you: if your college is somewhere like New York where you’ll get different weather for all four seasons, prepare for what you’ll likely see first. It is toasty when I move in, thus I should really only need to bring summer clothes and one or two “cold weather” outfits. If you have a car on campus, you can easily go home for a weekend to exchange some clothes. If you don’t have a car on campus, then you’ll want to optimize space.

3. Closets

Not all dorm rooms have closets, but if you are blessed with one, optimize it. There are tons of brands of “closet shelves” that you can use to condense space within your closet. Alternatively, with wire hangers, using pop-tabs from cans can offset your hangers.

4. Stay Clean

I have a tough time with this one as well. I am one of the messiest people to live with (good thing I have a single this year). If you can manage to keep your room clean and tidy, you’ll avoid a bunch of issues, one being bugs. My roommate and I were both messy last year (she was much neater than myself) and we ended up with a bug problem in our room. We finally got it taken care of, but she got eaten alive at night. Stay tidy and keep cleaners in your room (also, vinegar and water helps to keep bugs out, FYI).

5. Coordinate

If you’re living in a room with others, coordinate who is bringing what. If you want to share a fridge, make sure you both agree. You don’t both need a microwave (guaranteed). Only one person should bring a TV, if you have one at all.

6. FANS

If you don’t have control over your heating, you will certainly wish you did. Dorm rooms get HOT. You will not regret having a few fans handy. You may not be able to hear your roommate over the sound of fans depending on how cool you prefer your room, but at least you will both be cool and comfortable.

7. Procrastination

It is so easy to procrastinate at college. Your parents aren’t there to be on your back about homework, Netfilx is so easy to access, and the desire to actually have a social life will draw you away from homework. While you may believe that you are a master procrastinator, this will be disastrous. You might be able to sneak through during your freshman year as the class load will likely be lighter, but that will not fly when you get into the later years. Just stay on top of your work and remember, How I Met Your Mother will still be on Netflix when you finish your homework in an hour or so.

8. Sleep

Again, you want to be social, but your sleep is important! You need to catch those glorious Zs at a decent hour. Save the late nights for Friday and Saturday. You need to be Alive, Awake, Alert, and Enthusiastic for your classes bright and early Monday morning (and through the week)! Making sure you get enough rest will also make sure you don’t get too sick too often.

9. Water

Chances are, you’ll have a dining hall with many choices of sodas and juice to drink, but don’t forget that water is your best friend. You’ll see many upperclassmen carrying water bottles and that is because they’ve learned that it is far too easy to get dehydrated on a college campus. If you’re lucky, there will be water bottle filling stations to help you make sure you get enough water in a day! Stay hydrated, my friends.

10. Skipping Classes

You pay to be in class. Classes cost you literally thousands of dollars. Think about this for a moment: would you pay $1000 for a trip that you decide to skip? No! While classes are not the most exciting things to attend, you’re paying whether you are there or not. Might as well make the most of your money and actually go to class.

So who’s ready to head (back) to college? What important tips and tricks did I miss? Want to learn more about college life from a college senior? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to follow for future articles! Share this list with anyone who is preparing to head to college, whether it be their first or their last time moving in!