10 Things I Learned From My First Weekend in Valencia | The Odyssey Online

10 Things I Learned From My First Weekend in Valencia

"Chupitos" is not the Spanish equivalent to Chipotle, but they're still just as awesome.

336

If you could paint a picture of a typical tourist in your mind, what would it look like? Perhaps it's the fanny pack gang running around Disney with their fresh new Mickey Mouse hats. Or maybe it's the guy with the Hawaiian shirt...in Hawaii. Or perhaps it's myself, the American girl from North Carolina wearing flip flops and saying "Hola" to everyone on the streets of Valencia. Upon my arrival in this beautiful city a mere few days ago, I convinced myself that everyone thought I was a local. After all, I have brown hair, brown eyes, tan skin, and can even say, "Si" so what more is there? To my dismay, I quickly found out this was not the case. As I continue my six week journey studying abroad in this majestic city, I am realizing there will be quite a few surprises thrown my way. Here is a list of the top 10 things I have learned about Valencia thus far.

1. The babies aren't the only naked ones at the beach.

Our first day in beautiful Valencia we decided to take a day trip out to the beach. We bought our tram tickets and made our way to the station looking like pros of course. After getting lost a few times and attempting to ask for directions in broken English, we finally made it to the beach only to be greeted by guys in speedos or sunbathers wearing nothing at all. We quickly learned that all of the beaches in Spain are "clothing optional." I guess we didn't get the memo.

2. Taking the tram is an easy way to make friends, or to get cursed out.

Upon our return tram trip to our apartment, we encountered a group of kids appearing to be around twelve years of age. However, one of the girls was wearing a cut off shirt and had a belly button ring so I used my suave Spanish skills to ask her "Cuantos anos tienes?" (how old are you?) She told me she was fifteen and started snickering to her friend. She then proceeded to yell "puta" at me while getting off the bus. Nice.

3. Locals can spot Americans from a mile away.

I have always been told that I look somewhat foreign because of my dark features so I thought I could fit in with the best of them here in Spain. My first night out I started to yell "ay dios mio" to try to trick people into thinking I was Spanish. I was soon told that not only was this a Mexican saying but that I looked nothing like a Spaniard. In fact, we were told that all of the locals here can spot us "Americanos" from a mile away. Ouch.

4."Chipitos" is not the Spanish equivalent to "Chipotle," but they're still just as awesome.

Shots, anyone?

5.Traveling around Europe is a little tougher than they tell you.

Sure the flights may be cheaper but trying to talk to the airlines in broken Spanish is no easy feat.

6. Going to dinner before 10:00 p.m. isn't acceptable.

You will be starving for half of the day but the best restaurants don't open until around 9:00 pm or so, and they are 100 percent worth the wait. Two words: paella and sangria.

6.You aren't cool if you go out to the clubs before 2:00 a.m.

A typical night out for Valencians includes drinking at a bar after dinner, heading out to a club around 3:00 in the morning, and watching the sun rise on the beach before heading home for the "night." I have often wondered how these strange creatures survived everyday life. Then I discovered cafe con leche.

7. Cafe con Leche at any restaurant here is better than any Starbucks in the U.S.

Nearly every restaurant has an espresso machine and a foam maker that puts Starbucks gold member rewards to shame.

8. Beer is usually cheaper than water.

While water with lemon is my forte back home in the states, it is often times one of the more expensive drinks on the menu. Wine or beer it is.

9. Absinthe can make you fluent in Spanish.

Just kidding.

10. The blue skies and soft breeze guarantees you'll have a great day.

It doesn't matter if you woke up at 2:00 pm because of your night (morning) out at the club. As soon as you step outside into the fresh air and sunny weather, you're promised a good mood and an adventure or two.

I can only imagine how many more lessons this magical city will teach me, or how many tacky tourist mistakes I will make so stay tuned. Lo siento in advance, Valencia.