10 Lessons I Have Learned As An Adult

10 Lessons I Have Learned As An Adult

The hard-learned Lessons of adulthood thus far

355
10 Lessons I Have Learned As An Adult

I may not have been an adult for a complete year, but there are some definite lessons and truths I have learned that I was not as receptive to before.

1. You can be wrong in an argument.

I would not argue frequently, but when I did, I believed that my view point was valid and no one could convince me otherwise, regardless of whether I was correct or not. As an adult, I still get into arguments, but I know more about what I'm arguing and understand that I am capable of being wrong. The realization isn't easy to come to, but it is still one that I learned to face.

2. Folding a fitted sheet is an impossible task.

I have spent nearly an hour trying to fold mine in my dorm. It just doesn't work the way you think it would.

3. You are allowed to say no.

This is something I struggled a lot with in high school. I felt obligated to volunteer for everything and drop anything I was doing when someone asked for my help, whether it was with homework, teaching a class, or editing a paper. Now I realize that I shouldn't feel obligated to help with everyone's things. It's okay if I am so busy with my own schedule that I can't make myself available to help everyone at all times. I will still help and volunteer, but I won't run myself thin doing it.

4. There is more to a person's story than what you see.

Recently, a lot of people I have known for many years have approached me for advice on something that is happening in their life that I previously did not know they were experiencing. I realized that just because I chose to make part of my story public knowledge does not mean that everyone else will. People in your life will talk to you about what's going on in their lives, and you might be surprised by some of what you hear, but that's okay.

5. Be careful of social media.

I have grown up in a generation in which everyone is obsessed with social media, and I have now seen some people get in trouble for what they have posted in the past or continue to post on various platforms. Whatever you post is on the Internet forever, so be smart about what you say.

6. There is a time to have fun.

Being responsible in your work is important, but taking a break and going out with you friends is equally important. It isn't healthy to continually spend your time in your room doing work. Go out to eat with your friends, see a movie. Working in life is good, but you only have one life to live. Don't waste all of it staring at a computer screen or paper getting work done.

7. Worrying about a problem does not solve the problem.

Worrying about something instead of working to resolve it just prolongs the problem. This is what I still have trouble learning, as I am a worrier. Redirect your energy and efforts into looking for a solution instead of panicking about how you are going to accomplish everything with the setback. Take a step back, breathe, then face the problem head on to problem-solve.

8. Growing up means knowing when to put aside your pride.

I am not an inherently prideful person. I will, however, be vey pissed off when people treat me as if I have no clue what I am talking about. Getting angry and indignant doesn't do anyone any good. Be the bigger person, don't get emotional. Stay true to what you know and accept that not everyone sees things from your perspective and reacts the same way you do. Sometimes you will be talked down to, or need to ask someone you really don't want to for help. Instead of being overly prideful, swallow your pride and grow up. You are the bigger person. There is a time and place for pride.

9. Your parents are on your side.

As you get older, your parents transition from the role of "parent" to "ally," people who will always be there for you. Maybe not through monetary support, but always through emotional support. Your mom will be there for you to call when you're pissed off at someone or something, and your dad will be available for you to call for technology support and advice on how to balance stress.

10. And finally, it's okay if life isn't going the way you planned.

You can plan for your life all you like, but things happen. Your plans will be disrupted by something you didn't see coming - this is something you have to accept. Don't stress about it, no one really has their life entirely planned and figured out. Be versatile and ready for change at any time. You might find something you didn't consider before.