10 Things I Wish I Did My First Semester of College | The Odyssey Online

10 Things I Wish I Did My First Semester of College

Wayne, America is gr8, but these tips will make it even gr8er.

53
US92.com

It's that time of year again and the future teacher in me is so excited! First week of school, 'Cats! I compiled a couple of tips together for Wayne State College students, especially freshman, to make the most out of your first semester in Wayne, America. These are things I wish I did my first semester so hopefully there's one or two that speaks to you (I didn't mean for that to rhyme but it did)!

1. Put yourself out there.

The more involved you are, the better! There are ample opportunities for involvement on campus: clubs, Bible studies, and intramural sports just to name a few. Even if the club name just sounds cool, sign up! You can always drop it later when you know it's not for you.

2. Experiment outside of your comfort zone.

Try new things! Just because you didn't play volleyball in high school doesn't mean you can't play a pick up game of sand volleyball. The college experience thrives off of the idea of learning outside of the classroom and the best learning devices you have are your peers. Plus, you always meet some awesome people in the process. So, if you get the chance to do something you've never done before, try it out!

3. Introduce yourself.

People want to know who you are and professors love getting to know their students. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself! Whether it's in line waiting for the GAG to open or first time meeting with your adviser, here's a script: "Hi! I'm (insert your name here)." Easy breezy.

4. Get out.

Whether it's just outside your dorm room into the Willow Bowl or leaving Wayne for a road trip to Sioux City, you need the fresh air! Don't coup yourself up in your dorm room. Embrace Wayne's beautiful campus, visit one of Wayne's 13 parks (yes 13, I've counted), or drive a couple miles outside of Wayne for some top notch stargazing spots.

5. Study buddies for the win.

Get to know the people in your classes, especially if it is for your major. These people have the same interests and classes as you so they will be your go-to's for life (or at least for your time at WSC). College is different from high school in the sense that teachers don't catch you up when you miss class, your classmates do. Bonus points, because these people know the in's and out's of specific classes and professors (good and bad). So if you want notes from class or a top notch study session before a big test, be sure to hit up the squad.

6. Expand your radius.

The opportunities don't stop at the edge of campus WiFi coverage. Get involved with Wayne's unique community! The welcoming Northeast Nebraska spirit is lively in local churches, stores, and businesses. Plus, you never know who is looking for a summer nanny or part time help!

7. Attend on campus events.

Cheer on the Wildcat athletic teams and check out the awesome performances held on campus year round. Events are free with your Cat Card so it's totally worth your time to cheer on the Wildcats. We have an awesome rugby program which brings close to 100 teams to Wayne in March for March Madness - you don't want to miss out on our national champions on the famous Wayne Rugby Fields! I might be biased in saying this but the volleyball team is one of the best in the nation so be sure to swing by to watch a game or two in Rice Auditorium. Where are all my Rice Rowdies at?!

8. Planners save lives.

OK, so maybe they don't save lives directly but organization is key. Nobody holds you accountable but yourself so it's extremely important to have a planner. I personally prefer a physical planner that I can write all my scatterbrain thoughts and reminders into, but digital planners (online or on your phone) work just as well. Force yourself to stay organized and on top of things especially if you're going to be involved with multiple organizations. Nobody likes a constant no-show.

9. Utilize your resources.

Wayne State does a fantastic job supplying one on one help with homework, counseling, health services, you name it! Visit the Holland Academic Center for a tutoring session in a variety of subjects or stop by the library for the Writing Help Desk. The counseling center, student health, and career services are right down the hall from each other in the student center so it's super convenient assistance at your fingertips! Also, Wayne East has some of the best nachos so make sure you don't miss out on that vital resource.

10. Enjoy the little things

Cliche, but college goes by way too fast to take anything for granted so be grateful for the one finger farmer waves as you're driving to the store, the town parades, Bowen Hall wind tunnels, stellar parking spots in Lot 10, and the friends you make along the way.

Everyday is a #gr8day2bawildcat.

GO CATS!