10 Songs From Musicals That People Should Listen To | The Odyssey Online

10 Songs From Musicals That People Should Listen To

Show tunes are life.

18
ScoreBig

One of the things I value the most is my musical Pandora station. Odds are that if you see me with my headphones in, I'm listening to that station. I started off loving musicals in the movie sense, but in recent years have developed a love for Broadway musicals.

Musicals are what brought my best friend and me together, and we always went to our high school's annual musical together to support our other friends. I have it perfectly curated to play most of my favorite songs. My top songs from musicals (in no particular order because I love them all so much) right now are:

1. "Seize the Day" from "Newsies"

This is a song that always gets me excited. The song is the start of the newsboys going on strike, and they aren't giving up on their goal. This would be my walk-up song if I ever needed one.

2. "96,000" from "In the Heights"

What would you do if you won the lottery? During "96,000", the main characters from "In the Heights" all discuss what they would do with the 96,000 winning ticket that was sold at Usnavi's store. I love what the character Vanessa says, "If I won the lottery, you'd never see me again." Her use of the money if she had won the lottery is the one I relate to of all the characters.

3. "The Factory Girls/Come Up To My Office" from "Parade"

I hadn't heard of "Parade" until October of this year. "Parade" was being put on by my college's theater department, and I absolutely love the show. The story isn't a typical musical because it actually ends very tragically. I love this song because when it transitions to "Come Up To My Office", Leo Frank who is singing the song sounds so unlike what he sounds like throughout the show, and he has such a great voice.

4. "My Shot" from "Hamilton"

It was only a matter time until I put "Hamilton" on the list. This is one of several "Hamilton" songs that I'll have. I love "My Shot" because there are so many great lines like, "I'm only nineteen, but my mind is older", "I'm just like my country, young scrappy and hungry", "Don't be shocked when your history book mentions me". I love the cockiness A.Ham has in this song, and I think that is why this is one of my favorites.

5. "All-American Prophet" from "The Book of Mormon"

"The Book of Mormon" is such a hilarious, but also inappropriate show. "All-American Prophet" is one of the cleaner songs in the show, but it still has me in stitches when I listen to it. Besides, who doesn't love Josh Gad?

6. "Watch What Happens" from "Newsies"

This song is sung by a kick-butt female lead, who is following her dreams of being a journalist. I love hearing her figure out how she was going to be successful.

7. "All That's Known" from "Spring Awakening"

"Spring Awakening" is a coming of age story based off of an 1871 play by Frank Wedekind. During this song, Melchoir, the main character complains about the older generation rejecting history. I especially love the 2015 revival of "Spring Awakening", because it was put on by the Deaf Broadway West End, and the entire show has American Sign Language interpreted in.

8. "Wait For It" from "Hamilton"

"Life doesn't discriminate, from the sinners and the saints, it takes and takes and takes," at this point in "Hamilton", Aaron Burr is contemplating how Hamilton is always a step of him. Burr decides he'll play it safe and he'll wait for it as long as he has to.

9. "Prologe" from "Into the Woods"

The intro to one of the best fairy tale musicals ever. 15 minutes of plot development and incredible singing is why this made it onto my list. Besides, if we are talking about the 2014 movie adaptation, we have Anna Kendrick so, it's a given this is on the list.

10. "So Much Better" from "Legally Blonde: The Musical"

Though the reason Elle Woods wanted to go to Harvard was to get her ex-boyfriend back, by this point in the show she is over him. She realizes she is better than that, and as she says, "I've gone on to better things." I know some people that hate on this show, and yes I will admit is a total cliche, at least it is better than "Spider-Man: Turn Off The Lights".