10 Signs You're From Baltimore City | The Odyssey Online

10 Signs You're From Baltimore City

Hon, Crabs, and Sun.

509
10 Signs You're From Baltimore City
Solstice Photo

Baltimore is the 21st smallest city in the United States, but it is also one of the best cities. It's populous is home of many proud, famous Baltimoreans. The list includes: Edgar Allan Poe, Michael Phelps, Henrietta Lacks, and Thurgood Marshall. Just to name a few. Although not all Baltimoreans are famous, they do all have a lot of pride about their city, and laugh when people from the county are scared of the city. There are a lot of things that are distinctly Baltimore and anyone who lives here would know.

1. Your field trips almost always involved the harbor.

I went to Catholic Community School from Pre-K 4 to 5th grade and I had a couple of field trips over the years. I'd say we went to the Maryland Science Center twice, the National Aquarium three times, and Port Discovery once. There were also two trips to the Hippodrome, but those were special. You also probably had a family membership to the first two places so really it was probably your 50th time that year at one of those places anyway. But it didn't matter, you loved playing in Newton's Alley and watching the dolphins.

2. Your first concert was probably at Pier 6.

Mine was Owl City back in the summer of 2011. You've probably also gone to a concert at Rams Head Live, but we've all been to Pier 6. There's something about the white sloping cover and the surrounding water that creates an epic concert vibe. You can forgive the flooding during rain storms for the amazing acts that they bring in all year long.

3. You know why Michael Phelps' laughed during the National Anthem after his 200 Fly.

If you were watching the medal ceremony in which Phelps' earned his 20th gold medal (he later earned his 21st) you probably heard a faint "O" during that one spot in the national anthem. Saying "O" is a time worn Baltimore tradition (that if I'm being honest, I strongly dislike) and some of Phelps' friends obviously wanted to show their pride in Baltimore City and in Baltimore native Phelps.

4. You've seen Hairspray more times than necessary.

"Good Morning Baltimore" is your favorite song and it just feels SO right. You know all about the rats and the shining lights. You know you belong in that city, even if sometimes you wish you lived somewhere else. Personally, I've seen the movie only twice as well as seeing it put on at my high school freshman year.

5. You love the Maryland Flag, but also the Baltimore City Flag.

You maybe have a pillow, or maybe a small flag, but even if you don't have anything with the flag on it, you know what it is. Of course, everyone's obsessed with the Maryland flag (and who wouldn't be?) but we also love our city, and therefore our city flag.

6. You love Mr. Trash Collector.

One of the more recent additions to our beautiful city, Mr. Trash Collector is located on the side of Pier 6 Pavilion. Every day he diligently rolls up trash from the harbor, whether its from concerts, floods, or people who like to throw trash in the water. He's a city mascot like no other, and he's pretty darn cool.

7. You know how to get anywhere, even if you don't know the street names.

Earlier this year, I went on a 6 mile bike ride around the city. Going from one side of the harbor to Fort McHenry, to the other side of the harbor, and back. I could maybe have named five of the streets I was on and maybe a few that were around me but honestly they're the only names I know. When you've walked, biked, and driven the same routes everyday you don't need to know the street names. You just KNOW. You know where to turn, you know where to stop, and you definitely know how to not get hit by a car. Your knowledge is perfect until someone asks you how to get somewhere and you know it's a turn up ahead but at what street, is a mystery.

8. You know how cool the Cross Street Market is.

Maybe you've been there for the pretzels. Maybe for Steve's Lunch or Big Jim's? Maybe you get ice cream or some cookies? Maybe a corsage and flowers? No matter what your purpose you've gotten something from the Market at least once. You might even have had traditions surrounding that market. Maybe on half-days your family would go to Big Jim's for lunch like mine did. Or maybe you just walked by after school and hung out with your friends. Or you belonged to the rec center across the street. Whatever you did, you knew the Cross Street Market was the greatest place in town.

9. You've probably taken a picture at the cannon.

Whether it's you in your toddler years or prom photos, or maybe even engagement or wedding photos you or your parents have at least one photo of you on this cannon at home. It's a time honored tradition that even people from the county participate in. The cannon represents a point in history where civil unrest was the forecast in the than not-so-United States. Not many people are truly aware of that fact, but it is still a cool cannon to take photos by. It's beautiful view of our sprawling sky-line and the harbor below.

10. You get a little protective of your city

It has its pros and cons, but you love living in Baltimore and sometimes when county kids act like they own the city or when people inexplicably say they're scared of it for one reason or another. You enjoy sharing your city, yes, but it hurts when people from outside the city act like they belong there or believe they're better because they aren't scared of the city like other people. But at the end of the day you know that those familiar streets and places will always be home.