10 Signs You Miss Your Roommate A Little Too Much

And every embarrassing detail of going from 15 weeks together to 6 weeks apart.

126
Andrea Coffey

I was all for the six-week long winter break Miami students get if they choose not to take a class or study abroad during J-term—that is, until it was Week Four and I had overdosed on That 70's Show and found myself with nothing to look forward to but sleeping in every day. I quickly found myself jealous of my friends who went back to their respective schools last week and literally counting down the days until I can return to mine. I've reached that point in winter break where I want nothing more than to be reunited with my friends and roommate at school, and if you're anything like me, you can relate to these 10 signs that you miss your roommate a little too much.

1. Your first instinct when you receive a funny text or tweet in the morning is to read it out loud to your roommate.

But then you remember you're stuck in Ohio hours away from her and the only one in the room that could laugh at the funny tweet you just found is your cat.

2. You dread your pre-bedtime routine rather than look forward to it.

There was just something more fun about being the only ones in the bathroom brushing our teeth at 2 a.m. or staying up laughing about the stupid things we could comment on people's Instagram photos and ranking our favorite weekends from fall semester. Having the bathroom to myself at 2 a.m. at home is just not cutting it.

3. You struggle to get up without your human alarm clock.

One of my greatest talents, as my roommate knows, is forgetting to set my alarm when I have class in the morning. Countless times last semester she saved me by waking me up in time to get to class when she knew I had an 8:30, even when it required throwing pillows or bags of Skinny Pop across the room at me. I haven't been able to wake up before 11 a.m. once over break thanks to my roommate void.

4. No matter how hard you search, you can't find a Spotify playlist as good as your roommate's.

None of my "pre-going out," "getting ready for class" or even "napping" playlists are half as good as my roommate's. I'm looking forward to being reunited with my roommate's music taste (as well as her her Beats Pill speaker) as much as I'm looking forward to being reunited with her.

5. You can't find a good outfit to wear out because you keep picturing yourself in those clothes that actually belong to your roommate.

Maggie's tan skirt is infamous as the skirt most frequently worn by other girls on our floor, and I'm pretty sure I wore her Steve Madden booties more than she did last semester. I've found it pretty difficult to put together an outfit over winter break here in Columbus when I'm used to having access to two closets in Oxford.

6. You've been eating breakfast less because you have no one to eat it with.

As anyone who knows me knows, I practically live for breakfast food. However, I've noticed over these past few weeks I've been eating breakfast less because I can't count on company to the dining hall every morning like I could when I was at school. I definitely miss living with another person who appreciates breakfast food as much as I do (and who will let me know when it's French Toast Day so I won't miss it).

7. You've been eating salt and vinegar chips less because you don't have anyone to buy them for you.

In addition to the whole breakfast food deal, my roommate shares a profound appreciation for salt and vinegar chips with me. There's almost nothing I miss more about school than coming back to our dorm room after a night out to a bag of kettle cooked salt and vinegar chips, or at least a bag of the goldfish crackers or Skinny Pop her mom sends her.

8. You miss having company in your room at all times.

Coming home to my own room was much different than sharing a room with someone constantly willing to roll around in the office chairs with me, watch Netflix when we should be studying and listen to cheesy pop songs that we hate but also secretly love before going to class. I miss being able to count on the company of my roommate whenever I got back from class, as well as the company of whoever was taking Rubix cube lessons from her that week.

9. Your Snapchat streak is stronger than ever.

While at school last semester, my roommate and I could never seem to keep a Snapchat streak going for more than a few days. Now, however, I never forget to Snapchat her a daily update on Columbus or a video of one of her favorite songs on the radio, and I can always count on her "reply shots" of NyQuil or updates from her ski trip as well. And don't even get me started on our Snapchat group messages.

10. You're counting down the days until you'll be reunited again.

And thankfully my roommate is spending the last few days of winter break in my hometown, so that makes it only 5 days instead of 7. Not that I'm counting or anything.