10 Reasons Why I Love Long Island, New York | The Odyssey Online

10 Reasons Why I Love Long Island, New York

If you're ever wondering why my hometown is the best place you could ever grow up in, here's your answer.

508

No matter where you go, everyone has heard of Long Island, New York. Even if people repeat it back to you as "Lawn-Guy Land" or ask you to say stupid things like "coffee" or "water," they still know what you're talking about when you say you're from there. I know from far away, Long Island doesn't seem that special, but it's the best place I could have ever asked to grow up in. I figured it deserves a little bit of recognition because that's really how amazing it is. It's so much more than just my hometown and I'm not the only one that feels this way. So here are the top 10 (there are many more) reasons why I love Long Island, New York so much.

1. The food

Whether it's bagels, pizza, coffee, the diner, or those amazing sweet teas from bcaf (bagel cafe), there's really nothing like it. Not only is the food pretty cheap, but it's so good and honestly, nothing is better than going to the diner at 4AM after a night out because it's open 24 hours (Thank God).

2. The beaches

When most people think of the beach, they think of Florida or California. But LI beaches are honestly the best. Nothing is like driving out to Long Beach on the Ocean Parkway, being able to smell and hear the ocean on the drive over there, and running into the water or on the jettys at night. It's honestly the only way I can calm down and get some peace sometimes and I'm so thankful to have it right there only 15 minutes from me.

3. The people

I've found some of the people in college are way quieter than I am or just don't talk as much. At first, I thought I was just more outgoing but then I realized that all of my hometown friends feel the same way if they went far away. Even the few people that I've met here from LI feel the exact same way. We're just so extraverted and outgoing and that's one of my favorite parts about us.

4. The distance from the city

Even though I only get questions about the city when I tell people I'm from Long Island, they're not really wrong. Only needing a short ride on the LIRR to get into the most beautiful and busy city in the world has made some of the best days of my life possible. There are so many opportunities, crazy sights, and fun weekend plans that could not have happened without living where I do.

5. The convenience

When you live on Long Island, it feels like everything is just a short trip away. Hop on any parkway and you're near a beach. Take one train ride and you're in the city. Drive around town for 10 minutes and you'll find a diner, nail salon, 7/11, bagel place, supermarket, gas station, a mall, and restaurant. There's just something about LI that makes you feel like the world is at your fingertips and I love that so much.

6. The "small town" feel

No matter what town you live in on Long Island, everyone knows everyone. I've found out that I have mutual friends with someone that lives 40 minutes away from me and that's not an uncommon thing. People know each other, help each other out, and all talk. Sometimes that can seem overwhelming, but I love it because you always have someone to hang out with and you always have help when you need it.

7. The schools

I swear, even though we're in the North, high school feels just like One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights. Football season is the best time of year and nothing feels better than going to the games and hearing people yell for our high school, especially from a cheerleader's point of view. I feel the same pride in my college sports now that I did from high school, and I learned that all from growing up on Long Island. Not to mention that our education is actually 10th in the nation.

8. The fun

No matter where you are on Long Island, there's always things to do. You can go to the beach, movies, bowling, clubs and bars... the possibilities are endless here, which relates back to the "world at your fingertips" feeling that I love so much.

9. Billy Joel

I know it sounds random, but we all have so much love for Billy Joel because he grew up here. He plays at Madison Square Garden pretty much every year, and has so much love for his LI people and we all understand that. We all get what it's like to love Long Island so much and we're so proud to have such a famous and amazing musician be a part of that family. (Just saying, I found this GIF by searing Long Island, not Billy Joel, and I think that proves my point.)

10. Concerts

Speaking of Billy Joel, the concerts here are amazing. Everyone's favorite venue is the Jones Beach Amphitheater because who doesn't love sitting outside on a gorgeous summer night, looking at the beach and listening to an artist you love. People come here from all over the country to perform and all of the big artists know that they can't pass up the opportunity to play a sold out show in New York, which just makes it easy for us to see some of the best concerts.

Overall, there are a lot of great places to live, but there's nothing like Long Island, New York. If you haven't been, it's definitely worth visiting and I can't wait to come back to the best hometown I ever could've asked to grow up in. There really isn't anything better than the 516 (and I guess the 631 too...) and I'm so thankful to consider myself a part of that. I love you lots, Strong Island.