10 Reasons Why Everyone Needs A Long Distance Best Friend

The many perks of still being the same person even when you're hundreds of miles apart.

14
Andrea Coffey

After spending nearly every day this past summer before college with my best friend and being practically adopted into her family, I definitely was not looking forward to spending the next nine months 126 miles apart. However, these past seven months without daily carpools to work and two-a-day McDonald's stops taught me that there are actually quite a few perks of having a long-distance best friend.

1. Waking up to funny screenshots or tweets in your DMs every morning.

Sometimes they might just be horoscopes, but there's nothing better than waking up to a new Joanne the Scammer video before a long day of class.

2. Scheduling phone call or FaceTime appointments a week in advance.

When you can't have "Fire Pit Fridays" anymore, the next obvious choice is "FaceTime Fridays."

3. Learning the names of their new college friends and saying "hi" to them during said phone calls or FaceTimes.

And spending more time explaining trains or discussing rollerblades with said friends than your actual best friend.

4. Visiting each other at your different colleges.

Where you introduce each other as "my wife" and expect people to be 100% fine with that.

5. Hearing "Oh, so you're the one she always talks about" when you do visit.

Like I said, people are not surprised to hear us introduced as "my wife."

6. You can always count on their mom to make your favorite foods when you're home to visit.

Buffalo chicken dip is extremely successful in motivating me to come home for the weekend.

7. The excitement when your breaks line up and you actually get to see each other in person.

Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas and spring break reunions are always the most important things on our schedules.

8. Sending each other new songs to listen to daily since you can't share the aux in person anymore.

We've definitely acquired the same music taste after spending so much time together (as much as I hate to admit it), so of course the first thing we do when Ed Sheeran releases a new album is text each other.

9. Noticing yourself using their catchphrases even though you haven't seen each other in months.

I definitely didn't come up with "It's fine it's fine," "Bad news bears" and "You did your Kanye best" on my own.

10. Knowing you're still the exact same person even though you're hundreds of miles apart.

And we still manage to get each other the exact same present for Christmas.