10 Reasons To Take Latin

10 Reasons To Take Latin

It's a dead language that has an everlasting impact.

932
10 Reasons To Take Latin
One Peter Five

When pondering the value and significance that the beautiful language of Latin may have, I find myself delving into many personal reasons and motives alongside universal ones. As an individual that was wonderfully exposed to the challenging yet intriguing language in high school, I have found myself over the years grow a stronger attachment and interest in the language. I find that a lot of my fascination and love for Latin stems from my commitment to other passions, preferences, skills and experiences. Latin, though it is often underappreciated and underrated due to a seemingly ancient application, is largely useful for many contemporary functions and practical purposes. For myself, the 10 most prominent reasons that I value Latin and why I find it to be an immensely relevant language are as follows:

1. Latin allows for me to generate a more expansive and descriptive vocabulary as well as precisely understand the definitions of words in the English language.

As a writer and a student pursuing one of my two degrees in English, particularly in the concentration of creative writing, I find the art of etymology to be significantly useful, beautiful and functional when approaching my own writing. The fact that much of the English language is derived from Latin vocabulary allows me to recognize Latin roots within English words, particularly more complex words. This in turn makes it easier for me to adopt these words, which I can easily define due to my knowledge of Latin vocabulary and increase the variety in my vocabulary when writing. I find that as a writer, particularly one that is taking strides to define her style and vocabulary, it is important to expand my vocabulary and be able to use appropriate words but also be diverse. I have found that not only does the knowledge of Latin verbs assist in defining many words in English, but even the simple prepositions are majorly helpful in learning and strengthening my vocabulary. The particular study of etymology allows for my knowledge of the exact definitions of words to be more refined and accurate. I find that valuable as I develop as a writer.

2. Latin enriches me with an in-depth understanding of grammar and syntax, which assists in my development as an active reader and writer.

Studying Latin calls for a deep understanding of the various parts of speech, parts of a sentence and comprehending the relationship between each. Latin emphasizes aspects such as agreement in gender, number and case. This also includes, the relationship between subjects, objects and verbs, the many uses of prepositions, the various tenses, moods and voices, among other aspects. This immensely structured language is useful for its grammatical and syntactical rules because they give me a different lens through which I can read as well as write. Having been exposed to the functions of different parts of a sentence assists in my own proofreading of my English sentences because it pinpoints any errors that may exist. It also gives me the knowledge to reconsider the structure of my sentences if need be. Additionally, when approaching literature, this advanced knowledge of grammar, which was never taught during elementary years when first learning how to read and write, assists in parsing and breaking down sentences to comprehend and analyze it in it’s entirety.

3. Knowledge of Latin vocabulary assists in better learning and applying terminology in other subjects, particularly the sciences.

Being that one of my twp majors is Psychology, the application of Latin vocabulary to psychological language is immensely helpful. Latin has an immense contribution to scientific vocabulary, which is crucial in understanding psychology as well. Many biological terms have Latin roots within them and understanding those ultimately assists in learning the relevant terms for psychology. Psychology in and of itself contains a very expansive vocabulary because it encompasses aspects of biology and chemistry, each of which are high in Latin derivatives. Terminology in psychology often utilizes Latin prepositions as well, such as the word extraversion in reference to a concept in the psychology of personality.

4. Learning Latin is extremely useful because Latin phrases or terms are commonly utilized throughout formal and informal writing.

It is has been very often that I have viewed common Latin abbreviations used in documents, literature, letters and even in conversation. Common Latin phrases such as nota bene, et cetera, post-script, per diem, id est, exempli gratia, are very frequently found in English. Having the knowledge of Latin allows for a more appropriate use of these common phrases and abbreviations in modern usage. Although Latin may be considered a dead language, the usage of these abbreviations and shorthand Latin phrases proves that Latin is relevant in its contemporary usage and is still alive in many contexts.

5. Studying Latin allows for a deep and great exposure to Roman culture and history.

Learning Latin is more than just learning the grammar, mechanics and vocabulary; it encompasses an entire study of the classical Roman culture and history. Looking at Latin text, which is often pulled from Roman stories and literature, allows for an in-depth understanding of an entirely different yet fascinating culture. Studying an ancient and historic culture is relevant as it allows for us to open our minds up to various themes, structures of society, morals and unique ideologies Roman culture has proven to be significant. It is applicable in multiple ways to pondering the contemporary social world and structure of society. Additionally, Roman literature is important in thinking about politics, gender roles and gender dynamics, as well as social conflict.

6. Studying Latin is a great starting point for approaching another foreign language.

Being that Latin is a language that largely centers around understanding grammar, words and sentences, it is a good preparation for learning and understanding other languages. Latin requires great discipline and understanding of language as a whole, what is being communicated, how it is being communicated and thus is a great tool for learning any foreign language. Though Latin vocabulary will not always be applicable for other languages, the way in which it is structured and formed is found in other languages. For example, I have learned to speak Bengali ever since I was little, as it is my second language and I find that the concept of conjugations, subject verb agreements, different uses of prepositions, are all present in Bengali as well. I feel, after learning Latin, that I will be able to tackle Bengali more precisely and be able to speak in a more structured manner.

7. Latin challenges the mind and teaches it to be keen, attentive and disciplined.

I have found that Latin is a language that requires constant reinforcement of learned material and knowledge. Latin is dependent on the speaker and/or learner to recall knowledge from the beginning, such as previously learned declensions, conjugations, genders of nouns, vocabulary, endings, cases, rules, etc. This expectation to be able to recall and apply the rules, with enough practice, allows for the mind to become accustomed to thinking in a more structured and disciplined manner. Latin readers have to be immensely attentive to endings as well as rehearse recognition skills. This type of thinking and practice is ultimately useful when approaching topics and situations that extend beyond the realm of the Latin language. The rules of English cannot, in most cases, be applied to Latin, it challenges the mind to approach the language in an unbiased, fresh way.

8. Latin is useful in its inevitable strengthening of memory.

Because Latin has a multitude of aspects, vocabulary, various types of prepositional phrases, multiple rules, many endings for declensions and conjugations, multiple tenses, moods, and voices, it demands memorization and recollection. Latin is very demanding of strong memory and with enough rehearsal and practice, a person’s memory expands in order to retain all of the information that Latin has to offer. Studying for Latin as it is highly dependent on memorization teaches the skills and tips necessary for memorization as a strategy and is applicable for other subjects, situations and aspects.

9. Latin is useful in learning, understanding and picking up on Romance languages.

As Latin is the main language from the five Romance languages derive, there is no surprise that there is much commonality in terms of vocabulary, structure, grammar and some rules across these languages. Learning Latin will definitely make it easier to learn any of the Romance languages if that is desired, but is also helpful in trying to decipher these languages in terms of communication on a more practical and casual level.

10. Latin is highly useful for the preparation and mastery of standardized examinations.

As a student who intends to take the GRE exam in the future, Latin is a great tool in expanding vocabulary, particularly high vocabulary, that is a crucial aspect of standardized tests. When I was a student taking the SATs I found that my memory and knowledge of Latin vocabulary allowed me to immediately find Latin roots and deduce choices, ultimately leading me to the correct answers on intensive vocabulary questions.