10 Things To Put In Your Carry On | The Odyssey Online

10 Things To Put In Your Carry On

Don't travel on a plane without these items!

41
10 Things To Put In Your Carry On

Airplane travel is always exciting. You get to people watch in the terminals, experience some things you don’t usually get to do, and sit on a plane to see the world from 39,000 feet! However, depending on how long your flight is it can get boring, fast. In a worst case scenario, you can have a screaming baby and forget your headphones! I have put together a list of some of the things I bring in my backpack when I am on a plane to keep my busy brain occupied.

1. Headphones! I hardly go anywhere without a pair of headphones, but the airplane without them just sounds miserable. With headphones you can watch movies, listen to music on your phones, block out a screaming kid, or avoid the creepy talkative stranger sitting next to you.
  2. A Book. I usually bring my kindle because I can download movies on there or play spider solitaire, too. But a book is a great way to keep you busy and make you forget where you are. My favorite books to read on a plane are anything by Sara Dessen. Yes, they are kind of a young romantic genre but they are entertaining!
  3. My Computer. I usually only bring this if I have some homework to do, want to watch a movie, or need to write my article for The Odyssey Online (;
  4. Wallet. You need your ID to get through security so having it in a quick to access place is typically the best. But you never know if you’re waiting at the gate and want to grab a quick snack! Speaking of snacks…
  5. A SNACK! For those of you who know me, you know I love food! Any kind of food. So why not bring a small snack on the plane. I’m not talking a McDonald’s burger, but some fruit snacks or a small container of trail mix won’t hurt!
  6. A Water Bottle. Bring an empty bottle, like a Camelbak, to the airport when you are going through security. When you get to the gate you can either buy a drink or fill it up with water from the fountain. You don’t want to sit on a plane for a while without something to drink at least!
  7. A Light Jacket. Sometimes the airport can get a little chilly, and depending on the time of year you may not have a jacket handy. So pack a light jacket to put in your backpack incase you get a little cold!
  8. Glasses. Luckily for me, I don’t wear contacts. But if you do, the last thing you want to happen is for a contact to fall out and you’re left blind. So either wear your glasses when you are traveling or put a par in your bag just in case!
  9. A Portable Charger. Phones or electronics are handy to have. But if they die, you don’t really have them at all! So grab a cheap portable charger and keep it in your bag for an emergency charge!
  10. Last but not least, GUM! When you start to take off your ears can pop. To prevent that from happening you want to chew some gum. So keep a pack of gum in your bag as well!

These are the things that I bring in my backpack when I am on a plane. If you have your own list, please feel free to let me know! I am never too good for a little advice or a new idea! I hope my list at least helps you for the next time you vacation. Have Fun!