8 Places Every Michigander Needs To See This Summer | The Odyssey Online

8 Places Every Michigander Needs To See This Summer

Travel the Mitten!

18
Flicr

If there is one thing that all Michiganders have in common it's their love of traveling across our Great Lake Stake. So if you're racking your brain on where to go this summer, this list is for you.

1. Mackinac Island

Mackinac Island is a very unique staple for anyone traveling in Michigan. Take a ferry over from Mackinaw City, past the Mackinaw Bridge, to the Island. You'll find tons of shopping, a fort that was erected in 1782, bicycles in place of cars, and of course fudge. There are also many natural wonders on The Island such as Arch Rock and Sugar Loaf. It's a truly wonderful place to visit in the summertime.

2. Mackinaw City

If you can't make it over to The Island don't feel too left out, you'll find a fort that's 67 years older than the fort on The Island, shopping, and a ton of places to get fudge. You can go get a great view of the bridge and take fantastic pictures the same beach where Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse is located. No matter what you're looking for, Mackinaw City will meet those needs. Side note: If you're looking for great White Fish and Chips I highly recommend Scalawags Fish and Chips, their fish is great!

3. Black Lake Stake Forest Campground, Cheybogen

I've been camping here for about 13 years and I cannot say anything bad about it. If you're looking for a place to plug your camper in and have electricity this isn't it. Oh, and you'll be really lucky to get cell service here. It's rustic camping at it's prime. There are two levels to this campground; the lake front camping area, and the ATV camping area. I've stayed at both levels but my preference is lakeside. Black Lake has some of the best fishing and best ATV trails in the state. I have had some of my fondest memories there with my family and I have plans to go there when I have a family of my own. If you ever go and you're looking for some good food I recommend The Bluffs, just down the street from the campgrounds, and Wood Winds Resturant and Pizzeria in nearby Onaway.

4. Ocqueoc Falls, Onaway

Pronounced Ah-key-ock. This used to be a hole in the wall until the state took it over but it's still a great place to cool off during the summertime. Again, I've been going here since I was little and while I used to not like it very much I appreciate now. There are many miles of beautiful falls that are asking to be explored. These falls are great for safely jumping off and swimming against the current. The water may be a little bit cold but it feels great on a hot July day!

5. Higgins Lake, Roscommon

Higgins Lake is absolutely beautiful that it's no wonder it's considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. This lake is unlike any that I've ever seen, it's so blue that I would call the color aquamarine. It's super clear and when standing on shore it's easy to tell where the lake drops off. Rumor has it this lake has really good fishing too.

6. Michigan's Adventure

Although I'm not a huge thrill seeker, I can appreciate a good assessment park. Michigan's Adventure is in Muskegon and is owned by the same people who own Cedar Point. Some rides at Michigan's Adventure are even passed down Cedar Point! The awesome thing about Michigan's Adventure is the waterpark that's inside WildWater Adventure, it comes free with your admission ticket and it's great fun! There are a lot of carnival style rides which I like to do instead of roller coasters (I'm a baby, I know). Overall Michigan's Adventure is fun for the whole family and great for all age group!

7. Muskegon State Park, Muskegon

Muskegon State Park is a great place to take in the beauty the Lake Michigan. You can also take in the history of Muskegon by visiting the museums and Lighthouses of the area. I have camped in Muskegon State Park and while I wasn't a huge fan of the camping itself, I loved going to the beach that was less than a mile from the campsites. When there's bad weather rolling in from Wisconsin the waves are huge and fun to play in (I wouldn't recommend playing in the waves unless you're a good swimmer).

8. Frankenmuth, MI

Willkommen to Michigan's Little Bavaria! Frankenmuth has major German influence which I definitely appreciate because I took German in High School. But you don't have to be a German student to appreciate the charm of Frankenmuth. There are tons of shops to visit, great food to eat (I recommend eating at Zender's for a fantastic chicken dinner) and awesome places to stay(I always stayed at The Bavarian Inn). There is also a Christmas shop open all year-round called Bronner's Christmas Wonderland, it's overwhelming the amount of Christmas themed items they have.

No matter where you travel this summer you I know will have some fun and make some amazing memories!