10 Packing Tips I Wish I'd Known | The Odyssey Online

10 Packing Tips I Wish I'd Known

A few tips I wish someone had given me before I went abroad for a year

17
10 Packing Tips I Wish I'd Known
AAST Photography

It's that time of year: the fall winds are beginning to blow in, the leaves are changing colors and the academic year is beginning to approach.

Most student’s leave for their fall semester abroad between early August and mid September, so while the leaves may not be changing colors, and the fall winds may not be blowing in (it is mid July for goodness sake) you are beginning to pack things away, spending quality time with friends and family and saying goodbye to acquaintances (if that’s a thing you do). So, as a student who has already began their abroad adventures and understands how overwhelming preparing can be, here are a few tips on things not to forget:

1. Bring hydrogen peroxide.

Most countries (unlike America) don’t sell it as a way to clean cuts, so, like me, you’ll end up getting some other version that’s a lot more diluted, and quite possibly won’t work as well and it turns out to be really frustrating. Just pack a small bottle, you'll be glad yo have it.

2. Pack a popup hamper or laundry bag.

No matter where you go, you’ll need someplace to put your dirty clothes, and you’re not going to want to mix them with your clean clothes. So, either you will waste money washing tiny loads every week or have dirty clothes taking up a lot of space on your floor. Im currently working with the latter.

3. Bring a locked contraption that you can put important things in and:

a. Convert money to the local currency before you leave, or take out a large quantity as soon as you arrive. Keep a small amount in your wallet and have the rest in your locked contraption.

b. Keep your original passport in there. Do not carry it around with you. A copy of it? sure. the original? no. If your wallet gets stolen or you lose it on a less-than-sober night, you’re screwed.

4. Don't leave behind your school ID.

If you’re enrolling in a school in your study abroad location, they’ll give you one, so you don’t need to bring your home university one, but if your study abroad program does not include enrolling in one of the home countries school, BRING YOUR HOME SCHOOL ID. You’d be amazed at how many places abroad value students and give them discounts for simply educating yourself.

5. Don’t over pack.

You’re going to buy stuff here and I promise you wont need that big plush robe while you’re abroad.

6. Do pack a swimsuit.

Seems odd, right? But you want a swimsuit. If you plan on doing any traveling around where you’re going, I can promise you, you’ll want that swimsuit.

7. Do pack hiking/rain boots, or plan on buying them once you’re here.

I’ve found myself wearing them on the daily because either its raining or I’m hiking or both.

8. Get a new phone number in the country you're staying in.

It's incredibly less expensive. Like maybe ¼ of what your currently pay for internet and mobile service on your phone, and the people you meet will actually want to contact you to invite you to things. When you have an American number it becomes a hassle for them. Also, download Whatsapp.

9. Pack something that reminds you of home or of your friends or both.

You’re starting all over again, extraordinarily far from home and as silly as it may seem to throw your favorite stuffed in your suitcase, you’ll be grateful for it when you start to miss wherever or whoever your heart is with.

10. Bring a backpack of your favorite snacks.

For mood swings or bad days or even great days. You’ll be glad to be able to go into your drawer and reward yourself with a treat from home.