10 New Year's Resolutions Not To Make | The Odyssey Online

10 New Year's Resolutions Not To Make

New Year. New You. How About An Improved You?

22
10 New Year's Resolutions Not To Make
pixabay

A New Year's Resolution is a tradition in which a person makes a promise to do an act of self-improvement.

But many of us use this as an excuse to change our entire selves. The truth is, a lot of us want to change things about ourselves so drastically that we become a completely different person.

This should not be our goal! Instead of a "New You" why not shoot for an "Improved You".

Here is a list of New Year's Resolutions not to make for 2017.

1. Cut People Off

Everyone wants to be heartless nowadays. Just because you've been hurt before doesn't mean you should treat others poorly or cut them out of your lives. That doesn't make you cool or more successful. It just makes you lonely.

2. Be All About You

Being confident is one thing, but having a big ego is another. Don't make others feel irrelevant. You can love yourself without being an narcissist.

3. Waste People's Time

Remember #WasteHisTime2016 and #WasteHerTime2016 ? Those are the stupid things we shouldn't bring with us into 2017! Wake up people! Heal your own scars instead of trying to hurt people because you've been hurt before.

4. Drop A Few Pounds

This isn't necessarily a good resolution. If your weight isn't endangering your health, try to embrace who you are instead of working to fit unrealistic standards of beauty.

5. Eat Healthier

Again, eating healthier is good, but isn't becoming more of a trend. Don't go vegan just to post about it on Instagram or to look like a Kendall Jenner-ish super model. Do it because you want to live a full life and be in good health. It's okay to have a snack every now and then.

6. Gain More Followers (Or Any Resolution Involving Attention On Social Media)

Social media is not real life. Social Media doesn't validate your worth. Followers are not real friends. Being an attention hog isn't attractive. Make a resolution to make connections in real life with real people.

7. Make More Money

Money isn't everything. You should strive to do better, and we all know that'll probably bring you more cash. But please, do things because you love doing them and they make you happy. Not because they'll make you money.

8. Stunt/Flex On Your Haters

Stay humble. Just as quickly as you were blessed with your gift is how quickly it can be taken away. You were once standing in the same spot your haters are.

9. Forget About Last Year

Learn from your mistakes. Embrace the lessons learned. Keep moving forward. You can't erase the past, nor can you repeat it. 2016 may almost be over, but it happened, and there is no changing that.

10. Stick To Your New Year's Resolutions

We often get bummed if we don't stick to our resolutions. There's always next year everyone! As long as you don't make things worse for yourself, consider it a successful year and be grateful.

Here's to a wonderful 2017 everyone!

Happy (Almost) New Year!