10 Myths About Introverts To Stop Believing | The Odyssey Online

10 Myths About Introverts To Stop Believing

The quietest people have the loudest minds.

39
Lifehack.org

Ever since I was a small child, I thought there was something wrong with me. I was perfectly content reading a book during recess while the other children played on the playground. I had a few but close friends. When my parents had guests over at the house, I would sneak away for some quiet. When I was in middle school, I tried faking that I was an extrovert to fit in. I stopped when I realized that people didn't like me anymore and that it just made me unhappy to fake being more extroverted. I am in college and nothing has changed. In fact, interacting with a ton of people in a short amount of time makes me feel physically exhausted. Don't take it personally if an introvert doesn't want to talk to you. If you know an introvert and want to respect them and their lifestyle, respect their need for privacy, give them advance duty notices of any change, don't demand immediate answers, and respect their lifestyle.

Myth #1 Introverts don't like to talk

Not true. Introverts just hate small talk. Once you get an introvert talking about something they care about or have an interest in, they won't shut up.

Myth #2 Introverts are shy

Introverts aren't afraid of people. Introverts don't talk for the sake of talking. If you want to talk to an introvert, just start talking.

Myth #3 Introverts are rude

When it comes to social outings, introverts don't see a reason to beat around the bush. Introverts just want people to be upfront and honest but that's not socially acceptable. Don't take it personally if an introvert doesn't talk to you and wants you to be by themselves. Don't judge them, you don't know the day they had. They could've been forced to interact with a ton of people and that can be overwhelming.

Myth #4 Introverts don't like people

Introverts would rather have a few very close friends. If you are lucky enough to have an introvert for a friend, you have a good friend for life.

Myth #5 Introverts don't like to go out in public

Introverts do like to go out in public just not as much. It doesn't take long for them to be in a crowded environment and they will feel the need to go home and recharge.

Myth #6 Introverts always want to be alone

Introverts are simply comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot and daydream quite a bit. But they get lonely if they don't have anyone to share their thoughts an discoveries with.

Myth #7 Introverts are weird

Introverts are individualists and follow to the beat of their own drum. The decisions they make are their own, and rarely follow social norms or what's trendy.

Myth #8 Introverts are aloof nerds

Introverts find their inner world to be more entertaining and stimulating than the outer world around them. They look inward and pay attention to their thoughts and emotions.

Myth #9 Introverts don't know how to let loose and have fun

Introverts would rather let loose when they're in a comfortable environment. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Introverts are sensitive to dopamine.

Myth #10 Introverts can fix themselves

Introverts don't need to fix themselves because nothing is broken.