10 Must See Places In West Virginia During The Fall

Start planning your Fall road trip now!

1599
Photo was taken by myself at Babcock State Park

One of my favorite authors, F. Scott Fitzgerald, said in one of his most famous novels, "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the Fall." Fall brings us carving pumpkins, apple cider, pumpkin spiced lattes (actually pumpkin spiced everything!), candy apples, and the gorgeous Fall foliage.

Once the weather starts to get cool, the leaves begin their beautiful transformation from different shades of green into vibrant shades of orange, yellow, and red. My husband and I are avid "leaf peepers" when the colors start to change. We love to take off on a weekend day and travel around to all the beautiful places in West Virginia. We believe in taking full advantage of the gorgeous scenery in our great state.

Here is a list of 10 beautiful, must see places in West Virginia during the Fall.

(Note: You can click on each heading to get to the park or areas website for more information.)

1. Blackwater Falls State Park

(Pictured above: Lindy Point Overlook)

(Pictured above: Pendleton Point Overlook)

(Pictured above: Beautiful Sugar Maple tree in the Blackwater Falls State Park Picnic Area)

Blackwater Falls State Park is located in Davis, WV. This park is home to Blackwater Falls, Falls of Elakala, Falls of Pendleton, Pendleton Point Overlook, Lindy Point Overlook, and other gorgeous areas. Blackwater Falls also has several beautiful picnic and camping areas. The park is big in cross country skiing and has several hiking trails.

2. The New River Gorge Bridge

(Pictured above: The New River Gorge Bridge viewed from the Long Point Trail Overlook)

The New River Gorge Bridge is gorgeous during any season, but there is something about seeing all the different hues of orange, red, and yellow from way up high on the Long Point Trail Overlook. The New River Gorge Bridge is notoriously known for the "Bridge Day" event when the bridge becomes open to pedestrians and BASE jumpers who gather together to jump from the bridge. For a very long time the bridge was known as the longest single-span arch bridge, but now it comes in fourth place.

3. The Monongahela National Forest

The Monongahela National Forest is located along the highest ridges in West Virginia. The elevation ranges from 1000 to 4863" above sea level. The Monongahela National Forest is home to numerous hiking trails, overlook stops, picnic areas, and wetlands. There are a wide array of sites to see, making this one of the most unique places to visit in the state.

4. Grandview

(Pictured above: View from the Main Overlook)

Grandview is known as one of the most popular state parks in West Virginia. Grandview is home to several gorgeous overlooks of the New River. The park is also known for it's vast array of rhododendron, the state flower of West Virginia. Not only is Grandview home to scenic overlooks, but also several different hiking trails.

5. Spruce Knob

(Pictured above: Summit of Spruce Mountain)

Spruce Knob is located within The Monongahela National Forest. It's adjacent to Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area. Spruce Knob is known as the highest point in the state of West Virginia at the summit of Spruce Mountain. At 4,863 feet, this point is the highest in the Allegheny Mountains.

6. Canaan Valley

(Pictured above: Wetlands in the Canaan Valley)

Canaan Valley is probably more known for it's ski resort and conference center, but it is also home to several different hiking trails and wetlands. Located in Tucker County, Canaan Valley is home to the headwaters of Blackwater River which runs out and into Blackwater Falls.

7. Pocahontas County

Pocahontas County is a very remote county in the state of West Virginia. Within this county you can see several different farm areas, quilt barns, and lazy two lane roads. Pocahontas County is also home to some very popular West Virginia tourist attractions: Snowshoe Mountain Resort, Cass Scenic Railroad, and Watoga State Park.

8. Thomas

Thomas is located in Tucker County, WV. This small town used to be a coal town back in the day. Now Thomas is known as a historic town with several different unique shops and eateries. You can also see these massive wind turbines as you enter into the town. There are several areas where you can pull off to get an up close look at these wind turbines, while also viewing the gorgeous mountains of West Virginia.

9. Babcock State Park

(Pictures above: The Glade Creek Grist Mill)
(Pictured above: Boley Lake)

Babcock State Park offers all guests 4,127 acres of gorgeous scenery, hiking trails, and overlooks. Babcock is home to a replicate grist mill which is called The Glade Creek Grist Mill. Before the state park was constructed, the area held a fully operational grist mill known as Cooper's Mill.

10. Cass Scenic Railroad State Park

Cass Scenic Railroad State Park is a truly unique park to visit in West Virginia. It resides in the gorgeous West Virginia mountains and is home to the Cass Scenic Railroad. The Cass railroad train is an original steam-driven locomotive. Guests get to essentially relive an era when they go for a ride, while the train transports them through the mountains to the summit. This state park is unique in that it remains a replica from the past. The company houses have been refurbished so guests can rent them for a truly unforgettable stay. Click here to see photos of the steam-driven locomotives at Cass Scenic Railroad State Park.

It's not too late to make a trip to see these gorgeous West Virginia sites before the leaves all fall away for winter. Check out the West Virginia Fall Foliage Report and make plans for a gorgeous, fall road trip!

All pictures shown in this article were taken by myself, Kamie Allen, along with my husband.