10 Lessons We Can Learn From Cats

10 Lessons We Can Learn From Cats

Our feline friends are smarter than we think.

145
10 Lessons We Can Learn From Cats
Favim

I don't know about you guys, but I love cats. If you've known me for a while or read my previous articles this would not come as a big surprise. Some people don't feel the same way as I do towards cats. Some argue that they are evil and moody, while some claim that cats are selfish. I disagree. There are many different reasons why people love cats. Some people say they are low-maintanence and self-sufficient, while some love them just because they're cute. These are perfect reasons to love cats, but for me I love them because I believe we can learn a lot from them. Don't believe me? Here are 10 lessons we can learn from cats:

1. Be honest

This one may seem odd seeing as how cats can't speak words. But, while they can't do that, they can express their feelings. Cats tell you how it is and don't play any games (they do like to play, but you know what I mean). I commend them for openly expressing when they are in a bad mood or want something. They don't pretend everything is fine when it's not. If they don't want you petting on them, then they will let you know. And, they also express when they are feeling happy and relaxed. Be honest with others how you are feeling, and with yourself. It's good for you.

2. Be independent

Like I mentioned before, cats are loved for their independence. They can take care of themselves if they must. They do depend on us humans for food, warmth, shelter and whatnot, but at the same time a cat can do all these things on their own even without us. Human isn't around to feed me? Fine. I'll just escape through a window and find something on my own. Even though that may not always be the case, cats are very good at taking care of themselves without having to depend on us humans too much. I think that's a good lesson for us. To be dependent on others, but not to a point to where we can't function on our own.

3. Be forgiving

I love this about animals in general and not just cats. But, we'll stick to cats for the sake of this article. Cats don't hold grudges (at least I don't think so). Granted, if a cat is raised with aggressive owners they may turn out different. But any cat I have known is pretty darn forgiving. For example, my cat Pepper was playing on the bed with my sister once with a cat toy. My sister threw the toy off the bed and Pepper fell, hit the nightstand, and broke her leg (poor thing). Although this wasn't my sister's fault at all; Pepper thought nothing of it. I know cats work differently emotionally than us humans, but Pepper gave no blame to my sister, and doesn't treat her any differently than the rest of us. I know my cats are forgiving because they still love me after all the times I've stepped on their tails and paws, and all those times I rolled over on them in my sleep. Bad things can happen to them, but they move on. They don't care, and it's refreshing.

4. Be loving

This one kind of goes along with being forgiving. Seeing as to me love and forgiveness go hand in hand. Cats are loving. Yeah, you heard me, all those people out there that say cats are evil and moody. Cats, like pretty much every animal, have unconditional love. No matter where you have been, what you have done (or are doing), cats are there for you no matter what. They'll still curl up in your lap and cuddle with you. They'll still follow you around and rub on your legs and feet. They're always there when you need them. I had a cat named Boomer once that anytime someone in my family was sick or hurt, he would lie in the bed with them until they were better. He would only leave them to eat and use the box. I believe cats know when something's up, and always offer their love and comfort to help us through.

5. Be brave

Cats aren't afraid of anything. Well, OK, maybe they are afraid of some things, like the vacuum cleaner or your hairspray. But when you think about it cats are really brave. They jump and jump off anything. They stick their heads and bodies where you think they can't fit. They explore anything and everything. And though they may get scared of said thing they are exploring, they had the courage to approach it in the first place and check it out. Now, I'm not saying to go jump on and off things, and try to stick yourself in weird places. I'm saying don't be afraid to try new things. Don't be afraid to approach something you might be scared of. Who knows? It might become your favorite napping place.

6. Be yourself

I've seen and had a lot of cats in my days, and something that always pleasantly surprises me about them is how unique and different each one of them is. My cat Rue, for example, has a small head and big body, fur sticking far out her ears, and my personal favorite: six toes. She's unique and quirky, but she owns it. Cats don't treat each other differently based on how the other looks. Granted, this is because they don't know any different, but I think it's something that we as humans can be better at. Just accepting ourselves (our quirks and all), and accepting and loving everyone else's, too.

7. Be carefree

I know we have a lot of things to do basically every day of our lives. We always have something on our minds, something we have to do. But cats can remind us to just chill out sometimes. We don't always have to have an agenda. Sometimes it's OK to just lie down in the sun just because it's warm and it feels nice, not even to get a tan, but just because it feels good. It's OK every once in a while to spend an ungodly amount of time preparing yourself a spot for a nice, long nap. And it's OK to take time every day just to relax and let go. Just not as much as cats do, or you'll never get anything done.

8. Be appreciative

One of the strangest things about cats, and maybe one of the most frustrating things to their owners, is how cats will curl up in an old, falling apart, nasty box before they'll pile up in that nice, warm, cozy bed you just bought them. And how they'll play with pencils and hair bows before they'll play with that entirely too real-looking mouse toy. It can be frustrating, yes, to go out and spend money of these goofy cats, but at the same time it's refreshing. Cats don't care about materialistic things; they're just glad they have somewhere to lay their heads, be warm, and be surrounded by love, and that's all they need.

9. Be accepting

This one can tie into being yourself because cats are open to basically anything. When you decide to bring in another cat to go along with your other one, yeah it can be hard at first, but before you know it they'll be the best of friends. Cats don't care about the other's fur color, or how many toes they have, or their weird habits like putting their paws in the water bowl while they drink out of it (I'm looking at you, Rue). Cats are generally loving to each other and to us no matter how we look or how we are different. They may give us the cold-shoulder at first, but they will eventually accept and love us.

10. Accept change

Cats may not like change, but they will accept it. They may not like moving from one place to another, but as long as you're there, everything will be OK. Cats have a way of always seeing the best and making the most of what they have. I have cats that are sick and have to have a new way of life: a change of food, frequent vet visits, medications, etc. But you know what? They still make the most of it. My mom tells me that my cat Coco (who has diabetes) will curl up and love on my mom and purr while they're sitting at the vet's office. Cats can suffer in similar ways that humans can, but they have the same strength and courage to fight like we do, too. And that, that is something I admire and love them for.