10 Lessons Frank Underwood Taught Me

10 Lessons Frank Underwood Taught Me

From the Netflix hit series, House of Cards.

289
10 Lessons Frank Underwood Taught Me
winxdvd.com

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

I was once asked in my Political Institutions class, “If you could have dinner with any U.S. president, who would it be and why?” My first question was whether or not it could be a fictional president. If so, Frank Underwood. Here is ten lessons from President Frank Underwood of the Netflix hit series, "House of Cards."

1). Do you want to discuss courage? Because anyone can commit suicide or spout their mouth in front of a camera. But you wanna know what takes real courage? Keeping your mouth shut no matter what you might be feeling, holding it all together when the stakes are this high.

We have all been in this position. Sometimes the most courageous thing you can do is just keeping your mouth shut, especially in politics. Knowing your role is essential, when necessary.

2). Shake with your right hand, but hold a rock with your left.

Always be ready and alert for any situation or problem, regardless of the circumstances. Life changes fast. Do not let it catch you off-guard.

3). I’ve always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

Be a workhorse. Nobody earns success from sleeping in and laying around all day. In this world, you get what you give.

4). There can be no false steps now. The higher up the mountain, the more treacherous the path.

Never become settled or complacent with the successes you have earned. Everything you have ever worked for and everything you have ever achieved can all come tumbling down. Never get sloppy with your work, either.

5). The road to power is paved with hypocrisy and casualties. Never regret.

In my macroeconomics class, we were taught about opportunity cost. Basically, we all have to make sacrifices in life. The key is to weigh your options and determine the opportunity cost of your decisions. This is what Frank is telling us here. At one point or another, sacrifices will have to be made in your life. Make a clear decision, articulate your decision, and never regret.

6). There are two types of vice presidents: Door mats and matadors. Which do you think I intend to be?

Be ambitious. Ambition is an essential characteristic of success and a strong work ethic. Those who lack ambition, lack the drive and willpower to carry on when life gets tough.

7). There’s no better way to overpower a trickle of doubt than with a flood of naked truth.

Be honest. Remember what I said about how keeping your mouth shut will take you far? Well that’s still true. Equally true is how sometimes honesty can take you ever farther. Do not be afraid to say what needs to be said, no matter with whom you are speaking.

8). That's how you devour a whale, Doug. One bite at a time.

Be patient. There is a reason as to why wise men say “patience is a virtue”. Sometimes, the hardest thing you will ever do is waiting and having perseverance. If you walk a mile taking baby steps, its still a mile walked.

9). If you don’t like how the table is set, turn over the table.

Nobody ever gained anything by being content and watching their fleeting opportunities pass them by. You have the power to change your life and sometimes, that just may be what it takes to get you on the right path to success.

10). Power is a lot like real estate. It’s all about location, location, location. The closer you are to the source, the higher your property value.

Surround yourself with good and genuine people. Your surroundings influence you more than you think. Like-minded individuals can be your most valuable resources.

Season 4 of House of Cards available on Netflix starting March 4th.