10 Inspiring Women Of The USA 2016 Olympic Games | The Odyssey Online

10 Inspiring Women Of The USA 2016 Olympic Games

Amazing American women take Rio by storm.

18

1. Simone Biles

Simone Biles walked away from the 2016 Rio Olympic games with five medals, four of which were gold and one bronze. Standing at 4'8", she may be small in stature but she is jam packed with power. Her talent and grace is awe inspiring. She is sure to be a role model for young girls for many years to come.

2. Katie Ledecky

Ledecky brought home five gold medals, four gold and one silver. More impressive is the fact that she set a world record in the 800m freesytle and the 400m freestyle. At 19 years old she is the future of U.S.A swimming and predicted to possibly surpass Micheal Phelps in the medal count.

3. Tori Bowie

Bowie brings home two medals (so far), one silver and one bronze in the 100m and 200m respectively. She grew up in small town Mississippi, and beat the odds of poverty and became a college track star at the University of Southern Mississippi doing the long jump. She set many school records in the long jump and was later converted into a sprinter in 2013.

4. Kerri Walsh-Jennings

Walsh-Jennings brings home a surprising bronze medal. The most winning beach volleyball player in history with three previous gold medals. Walsh-Jennings turned 38 during the 2016 Olympics and has stated that this was her last Olympic Games. This was her first and last games with partner April Ross.

5. Sarah Robles

Robles brought home the bronze medal in the over 75 kg weightlifting event. She is the first American to win a weightlifting medal in 16 years. Robles comes from a Morman and Mexican background. She is empowering women of all sizes to reach their atheltic goals.

6. Michelle Carter

Carter won the gold in the woman's shot put. She holds the American record with a distance of 67 ft 8 in. Interestingly her father won the silver in the men's shot put in the 1984 Olympic Games. Carter is also a certified make-up artist, nicknamed the "shotdiva".

7. Diana Taurasi

Taurasi's USA women's basketball team are set for the gold medal game but has taken home gold medals in the 2004, 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games. She lead the University of Connecticut to three consecutive NCAA championships.

8. Emma Coburn

Coburn ran away with a bronze medal in the women's 3000m steeplechase. Coburn was a member of the 2012 Olympic team but did not medal. In the 2016 finals she set the American steeplechase record at 9:07.63.

9. Kayla Harrison

Harrison captured the gold in Olympic Judo 78 kg. This is a repeat gold for Harrison who was the Olympic champion in 2012. She is an outstanding motivational speaker and is a prominent sexual abuse advocate. Her personal and athletic career are inspirational.

10. Allyson Felix

Felix has taken home the silver in the 400m, and is a member of the 4x100m relay team. In the preliminary round Felix was bumped by a Brazilian runner and dropped the button, but upon a challenge the U.S was allowed to run again and qualified for the finals. She holds four gold medals from the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games.

For more information about the amazing women of the U.S.A Olympic team check out teamusa.org.