10 Haunted Places In Memphis | The Odyssey Online

10 Haunted Places In Memphis

Memphis is full of souls.

662
10 Haunted Places In Memphis
tino_73_

Memphis has this way of drawing people in. It opens its arms wide like a comforting friend and completely surrounds you with warmth. It's a dark and rainy little river city that lets people in by the hundreds. It also doesn't let people leave.

Memphis has grabbed hold of many souls and you can feel them walking right next to you. These are ten of the places that just quite can't let go.

1. Woodruff-Fontaine House

Built in the 1870's, the Woodruff-Fontaine House sits at 680 Adams Avenue which was previously known as "Millionaire's Row". The house is now a museum and said to be haunted by Molly Woodruff. The Rose Room was once her bedroom and many people have reported feeling her presence. One witness even heard her say, "My bed doesn't go there".

2. The Orpheum Theatre

Built in 1928 and still very much in operation, it is said to be haunted by many ghosts. There are two main entities that roam the theatre; a young-girl named Mary and a masked figure. The masked ghost is said to live in the theatre's upper air duct and sometimes even waves to actors on the stage. Mary was only 9 years-old when she was hit by a trolley right outside. The staff knows she's in the room whenever a door slams or the lights flicker on and off. They even save seat C5 for her because she loves to watch the plays. If you see a little girl in a white dress and pigtails the next time you're at a show, tell Mary I said hello.

3. The Inn at Hunt-Phelam

Still standing in perfect condition from the 1830's, the inn is said to be haunted by the Hunt's former servant. When the yellow fever epidemic hit Memphis, the Hunt's fled their home in 1873 and entrusted a chest of gold to pay for the upkeep of the house to servant Nathan Wilson. Shortly after the family left, Nathan was found dead inside the house from yellow fever. His boots were covered in mud and a shovel was by his side. Apparently, he buried the gold somewhere on the land to keep it safe. The chest may not have been seen since, but Nathan definitely has. He has been seen walking the ground of the house in 19th century garb and seems to be desperate to tell someone where the gold is so he can finally get some rest.

4. Earnestine and Hazel's Bar

Recognized as one of the most haunted places in America, this former brothel turned bar is home to many spirits and even a haunted jukebox (it wouldn't be Memphis if there wasn't at least one haunted jukebox). Not only does it turn on at random times and blast music, it is also known to listen to what is being said in the room and play songs to fit right along with the conversation. Memphis Paranormal Investigations have taken multiple trips to the bar and have always left with some sort of proof of a haunting. The employees believe the ghosts are of those who just can't let go of the good times they have had here. If you've ever had one of their Soul Burgers at 3 a.m., you'll understand why.

5. National Ornamental Metal Museum

Now home to roughly 3,000 items, the National Ornamental Metal Museum was once the sight of a Marine hospital in the late 1800s and then a Civil War hospital. The Civil War hospital consisted of a nurse's quarter, a doctor's quarters, a soldiers' quarters, and the hospital itself. The basement of the doctor's quarters was the morgue fit completely with a body chute. In 1979, the buildings began renovations and stirred up the sleeping spirits. Visions of ghostly marines and voices have both been reported, as well as the constant feeling that you're being watched.

6. Hotel Pontotoc

Established in the 1920's, the Hotel Pontotoc was very well known in the Memphis Greek community as a place to drink and relax. Following the hotel came a brothel and then a boarding house. Now, a woman and her family live on the first floor. The second floor is left empty and unable to be renovated due to the spirits that detest change. The current resident denies any notion of paranormal activity, but rumors say the manager of the boarding house was a drunk and always came home late at night, annoying all of the tenants. One morning, they woke up to the smell of burning hair and soon found the manager burned alive in the boiler at the bottom of the stairs. It's unknown if he drunkenly stumbled or was purposely pushed down. He is said to haunt his former room. A young girl, whose family inhabited the room years later, reported that his spirit would come to her every night.

7. Brister Hall; University of Memphis

Old Brister Library has quite an eery legend tied to its history. Apparently, a female student was raped and murdered inside the towers of the library. No one came to help her and the crime was never solved. To this day, it is said that she walks the halls. Students and faculty have heard unexplainable noises and have even encountered her spirit, but she disappears when approached. There was even a time when campus police heard screams of bloody murder coming from inside. When they went in to investigate, the building was completely empty.

8. Lake at Overton Park

In the 1960's, a young woman in a blue dress was raped and stabbed to death near the lake. Multiple witnesses have claimed that they see her walking by the south side of the lake at night. She is said to be very upset, asking for help with outstretched arms, but vanishes into thin air when she is approached.

9. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

A room on the second floor of the hospital is said to be haunted by the ghost of a 17 year-old patient who passed away there. The nurses, doctors, and other staff have all claimed that her spirit is friendly.

10. Last but never least, Graceland

Of course Elvis would haunt Memphis and his beloved mansion he purchased when he was just 22 years-old. Many sightings of the King have been documented in diners, malls, souvenir shops, and the airport. The home preserves his spirit, as well as most of his belongings. When walking through the doors, his spirit is automatically felt. It is so strong that it almost makes sense that people believe his death never happened. Several tourists have stated that they saw him looking down on them from an upstairs window, waving at them as they walk past. There have even been pictures taken that show an apparition with its hand raised from that exact window.

Even if you don't believe a single one of these stories, you have to admit that you're thinking about walking into Brister Hall the next time you're on campus or that you really want to see a show at The Orpheum, just to see the empty chair. It just goes to prove that Memphis captures the likes of everyone. You're already here now, it's going to make sure you turn into a believer.