10 Free Things to Do In DC During The Summer | The Odyssey Online

10 Free Things to Do In DC During The Summer

In such an exciting city, there must be some way to break the boredom without breaking the bank.

23
Planetware.com

Now that school has come to an end, many of us have more free time on our hands. However, we also might want to save some money while still having fun. Here are some ideas to have a fun summer day in DC without breaking the bank.

1. See the National Zoo

Most zoos have an entrance fee of $15-20, but being part of the Smithsonian system, our own National Zoo is free of charge for entrance. Being one of only a few zoos in the country to house Panda Bears, a trip to the zoo offers a free way to get a unique experience.

2. Hike at Great Falls Park

This little-known National Parks Service site is only a few miles from downtown DC located on the George Washington Parkway. It's the perfect way to enjoy the sun and get out of the hustle and bustle of the city without going too far or spending too much money. My advice is to either go in the early morning or the late evening to beat the heat!

3. Tan on an apartment roof top.

Most apartments in DC have rooftop access, and bringing a chair or blanket to the roof will allow you to tan naturally without needing to spend any money, and allows you to beat the crowds of a beach or other outdoors location. Also, most DC rooftops have great views!

4. Walk the Georgetown Waterfront

In my opinion, nothing is as romantic as a walk along this scenic boardwalk. There are also great spots to grab a drink with friends along the Waterfront, and its close proximity to M Street allows you a vast array of dining options. The Waterfront Park and adjacent harbour offer breathtaking views of the Potomac, with the option to rent paddle boards and kayaks.

5. See Jazz in the Garden

This weekly free concert series occurs every Friday from 4-8 p.m. at the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden, and is a great way to unwind for no cost after a busy week. More information on the performers can be found at the NGA's website.

6. Hike Roosevelt Island

This secluded gem is only a 10-minute walk from Rosslyn Metro Station, yet offers peace and quiet as well as beautiful scenery.

7. Participate in Capital Pride

Celebrating DC's diversity for over forty years, take part in this Hallmark of DC living. This year's pride parade is on June 11 in Dupont Circle.

8. See the fireworks on 4th of July.

.

What better way to celebrate America's independence than from our nation's capital? Pro tip: Avoid the monstrous crowds on the mall by viewing the fireworks across the river from the Marine Corps Memorial.

9. Go midnight monumenting.

Avoid the crowds and chaos by heading down to the monuments late at night. It's very beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-free.

10. Take an Odyssey Dinner Cruise

This option is quite pricey at around $90 a ticket, but by saving money by participating in all the free fun activities I listed above, you and your friends can enjoy a once in a lifetime experience on this classy dinner cruise down the Potomac. Complete with gourmet dinner options such as salmon, crab legs, prime rib, and filet mignon; a full service bar; and live music, this cruise will certainly be the hit of the summer.