10 Disney Movies With Relevant Lessons For College Students | The Odyssey Online

10 Disney Movies With Relevant Lessons For College Students

Every college student and Disney enthusiast needs to watch or rewatch these gems.

1190
Walt Disney Pictures

Although most Disney movies are aimed toward kids, many of the classics cover some pretty tough and mature themes. Let's be honest, we all still love some Disney in our lives. So, in no particular order, here's a list of 10 Disney movies that have relevant lessons and deserve a rewatch from every college student and Disney enthusiast.

1.Peter Pan

Honestly, every college student should rewatch this Disney movie and reminisce about never wanting to grow up. Even though we are still technically aging and learning how to live on our own among other adult skills, we can remain young at heart by imagining fighting pirates, adventuring with the lost boys and learning to fly with a little bit of pixie dust.

2. The Little Mermaid

Having big dreams, falling in love, maybe disobeying your parents and becoming your own person. That sounds a little like college to me, and also Ariel's story in "The Little Mermaid"!

3. Mulan

This one teaches so much for life in general, but specifically for college students, this one could use another look. Being tough while on your own, keeping true to your values, and standing up for what you believe in, are all super important themes in the movie and as a college student.

4. The Lion King

Aside from this being one of the best movies, let alone a Disney movie, it also explores the importance of family, responsibility and resilience.

5. Finding Nemo

"Finding Nemo" is about courage, persistence and pushing through your comfort zone, trusting yourself, relying on new friends, and again, the importance of family. Each character goes on a crazy journey (through the ocean and through themselves). Nemo makes new friends and explores the wonders of the ocean that he had never been able to before. Marlin learns how to let go of Nemo and to accept help from others, specifically Dory, who teaches us to be calm and "just keep swimming."

6. Big Hero 6

Emotions are normal. Breakdowns will happen. And we all need a Baymax to give us a big hug.

7. Tangled

Another movie about adventure, finding yourself, and getting creative. Any college student will understand how important it is to be creative with what little you have! Frying pans, anyone?

8. Into the Woods

Not your traditional fairy tale, this movie stunningly combines classic stories with harsh realities. Temptations, loyalty and doing the right thing are featured in this movie. An important lesson I took from Into the Woods: you can't trust everyone, not even your "Prince Charming." Each character can share some wisdom with college students.

9. The Princess and the Frog

Work hard for the things you want! And, you may have to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince.

10. Up

Let go of bitterness, get out there and have an adventure! You are never too old to learn something new or go exploring. Don't judge someone just because you think you know better than them. You never know who can teach you something!