10 Different Ways Christmas Is Celebrated Around the World

356

It’s that time of the year again. The temperatures start cooling down to a blistering-cold 50 degrees, and sunny San Diego stops being, well... as sunny. I don’t know about you, but Christmas is my favorite time of the year. I love the hot chocolate, the smell of Christmas trees, strings of light strewn around houses, spending time with family and friends and, of course, the presents. While that’s how we traditionally celebrate Christmas in America, let’s see how other people around the world celebrate Christmas! 

1. Australia 
As you might expect, our Aussie cousins celebrate Christmas pretty much the same way, except for one major difference: their Christmas is during summer! While some of us patiently await half-Christmas on June 25th every year ("Workaholics" reference, yo), the Aussies are living it up down under. Also, because it’s so scorchingly hot during their Christmas summers, many volunteer firefighters spend their holidays putting out the massive bush fires located throughout the country. Now that’s hot!     

2. Brazil 
Infamous for Carnaval, the "Brazzies" really know how to party for Christmas. While there’s plenty of debauchery found before and after Christmas, the serious business occurs at midnight on the 25th at the Missa do Galo (rooster, or cock mass). After the mass is over, the celebrations continue with massive fireworks displays and such. By the way, I made up the term "Brazzies" but I sure hope it catches on!     

3. China 
These Godless heathens sure know how to ruin Christmas (along with the North Koreans, see below). Because only 1% of the population is actually Christian and celebrates Christmas, very seldom are decorations seen throughout China. This is bizarre due to the fact that they’re the ones who produce these decorations!     

4. Finland 
The land of snow and uh, more snow is obviously going to be a good place to celebrate Christmas. Finnish people go all out for Christmas; they actually believe Santa Claus resides in northern Finland and write letters to him every year. They even have a theme park called "Christmas Land" near where he purportedly lives! For Christ’s sake, these people love Christmas and know how to Finnish the year strong! Hyvää Joulua! (Merry Christmas!)     

5. Germany 
Ah, Germans, always the purveyors of excellent craftsmanship and world history. In fact, the whole concept of Christmas trees began in Germany during the Middle Ages when the Mother of the house would decorate a freshly-cut tree on Christmas Eve and read verses from the Bible.  Also, Germans sing Christmas carols such as "O Tannenbaum’" ("O Christmas Tree") or "Stillenacht" ("Silent Night;" not to be confused with Kristallnacht). In certain regions of Germany, there is a monster called "Krampus" who accompanies Santa Claus and whips the children who have been bad. This Krampus dude sounds pretty hardcore! 

6. Italy 
Mamma mia! Due to the fact that Italians are devout Catholics (and devout fashionistas), Christmas has a special significance in Italian culture. Nativity scenes abound and presepe, sand nativity scenes, are common in coastal areas. Their obsession for nativity scenes has resulted in the world’s largest nativity scene with over 600 pieces located in beautiful Naples. Lastly, Babbo Natale (Santa Claus) does not bring children presents on Christmas, but instead, at Epiphany on Jan. 6. Buon Natale e Arrivederci!     

7. Japan 
In Japan, Christmas is seen as more of a romantic Valentine’s Day-like holiday in which couples hang out all day. If you’re cringing in your seat right now, then consider this next tradition for Christmas: eating fried chicken. Many Japanese will go to their local KFC and have a fried chicken dinner with friends and family for Christmas. Reservations are required if you want a seat. They sure love their fried chicken!     

8. Poland 
It’s hard to find a nation that hasn’t commercialized Christmas and corrupted the sanctity of the holiday. One of those few exceptions is the beautiful country of Poland. In order to cherish the religious aspect of the holiday, Poles abstain from excess food and drinks, and bars and clubs are closed during the holidays. During Christmas Eve, or Wigilia, dinner, 12 plates are served, each of the 12 plates signifying good luck in the following 12 months, and a nod to the 12 disciples of Jesus. At midnight, some believe animals can talk. This would make a great storyline for any "Dr. Doolittle" sequels!     

9. Russia 
In Russia, you don’t celebrate Christmas, Christmas celebrates you. Beside the copious amounts of vodka that I’m assuming Russians consume, the few "Ruskies" that do celebrate Christmas, do so from the Nov. 28 to Jan. 6. This is because the orthodox Christians that live there follow the Julian calendar (as opposed to the Gregorian calendar, which we normals use). 

10. North Korea 
Christianity is actually banned in North Korea, and the mere possession of a Bible will land you in political prison. Think of these guys as the ultimate Grinches around Christmas time, and they really have stolen Christmas away from everybody. 

Pro-tip: Just head down south to the other Korea and you’ll be fine.     

There you have it! Now you’ve cultured yourself and I bet you learned something new today. Since Christmas was originally created in the U.S. of A., countries around the world have put their spin on this great holiday. Now go on, have yourself a great American Christmas and Happy Holidays!