10 Books You Might Be Surprised To Know Are Banned | The Odyssey Online

10 Books You Might Be Surprised To Know Are Banned

If you have read any of these, you are a literary rebel.

120

If you are not already aware, Sept. 16, through Oct. 3, is Banned Books Week. The purpose of this week every year is to celebrate our freedom to read. This celebration started in 1982 and over 11,300 books have been challenged due to various reasons.

To find out more info, check out the Banned Books Week website.

1. The Dictionary

Yes, the dictionary is a banned book in some parts of California for including sexual definitions.

Apparently, some libraries still think it's called "the stork came to visit."

2. "A Light in the Attic" by Shel Silverstein

Does anybody else remember reading this book (maybe you had it read to you) or other books by Mr. Silverstein? This particular book of poems is banned in some school libraries in Florida because it promotes violence and disrespect.

Some people don't know a classic if they tripped over one.

3. "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder

I can't be the only one who is surprised by this one. We grew up reading this series and watching it on PBS Kids. According to a South Dakota school, this is banned because of comments made about Native Americans by some of the characters.

4. "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson

If you have either read and/or watched the movie, you know the feeling of complete and utter devastation it left in your soul. For all who suffered through this book, it makes that pain hurt even worse to know it is banned by a school in Pennsylvania school for offensive language and disrespect to authority figures.

Obviously, they just want us to suffer even more.

5. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Roald Dahl

This is just getting completely ridiculous. The classic novel is not only banned but locked in a collection cabinet because a Colorado librarian thought Charlie Bucket and the tour of the chocolate factory showed a "poor philosophy of life."

SOMEBODY needs to eat a Snickers.

6. The "Where's Waldo?" Series

I mean, COME ON. Give me a break here. I could almost bet my life that almost everyone tried finding Waldo at least once during their childhood. Some places in Michigan and New York banned it for questionable characters in the crowds. Example: a topless woman on the beach.

Um, maybe it was a NUDE beach.

Also, Disney got away with many sexual references, but I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

7. "Little Red Riding Hood" by Charles Perrault

You think I'm kidding? Well, I am not. Two California schools banned this because one of the refreshments in the basket was wine.

I think the grandmother is old enough to enjoy a little wine before she, you know, gets eaten by a wolf.

8. "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

This one doesn't surprise me as much, because when I read it, my teacher informed the class on how controversial the book was. Still, this is a classic that should be on everyone's "before I die" reading list.

But what does an avid reader know?

9. "Charlotte's Web" by E.B. White

I absolutely adored this book when I read as a young girl, and it tears at my heart strings that's it banned for a stupid reason. Talking animals is unnatural and "blasphemous."

Someone better alert Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks about all the talking animals. Oh, I guess it's OK if it's in a movie format.

10. "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss

If I have learned anything about this, it is that some of my favorite childhood authors who wrote some of my all-time favorite books are "banned writers." The absurd reason this book received banishing is the logging industry got offended by the plot line.

Gee, I guess you should try not to offend anyone and keep to writing a happy, pleasant story. Sadly, someone would find a reason to ban that one, too.