Realities Of Loving Iced Coffee

Realities Of Loving Iced Coffee

The good and bad of an iced coffee addiction

29
Realities Of Loving Iced Coffee

At this point I've been home from Youngstown State University for about a month. I've been going through some severe Dunkin' withdrawal for a while now and I can't wait to get back to the Hub and get me some iced coffee! I'm thinking French vanilla with cream and sugar for my first day back, that is if the line isn't too long when I get there. I don't even care that it's going to be frigid when I get back to campus.

Of course, there are some pretty wonderful and pretty un-wonderful realities that come with a love of iced coffee.

The wonderful

1. There is nothing better than a cold drink on a hot day,

The past fall semester, at least most of it, seemed to feel more like a summer semester. I loved grabbing an iced coffee between classes to keep cool and get my caffeine fix at the same time.

2. Cold coffee comes in different varieties and flavors!

One of the best things about coffee is that there are all sorts of different syrups, creamers, sugars and types. I could have a coffee every day of the week, maybe every day of the semester and never get the same coffee twice- especially when there are promotional flavors out!

3. Something cold next to something cakey is ah-maze-ing!

Cake and ice cream. Brownies and milk. What do those two combinations share? Cake and something cold. Iced coffee and donuts are a great combination for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack.

4. All the free coffee you can get from people who don't know what to buy you other than gift cards.

I don't know about you, but ever since I started college and started working no one knows what to buy me for Christmas or my birthday. Anything I need or want I usually pick up for myself. So, for lack of a better gift, I usually end up with several gift cards. My favorites usually involve coffee because it somehow tastes so much better when it's free!

5. You can get a FREE coffee on National Coffee Day (September 29)!

National Coffee Day is on September 29 every year and to celebrate many places will offer a free (usually a medium) coffee. Use this day to show appreciation for coffee and don't forget to be especially kind and patient with your server on this day!

The not so wonderful:

6. There is nothing worse than a cold drink without gloves in winter.

I have a bad habit of not wearing gloves when it's cold, mostly because my hands go in my pockets either way. However, when I order an iced coffee I end up having to walk around campus with at least one hand exposed to the elements. Have I learned my lesson after almost three years? Nope!

7. When you're home for extended periods of time with only hot coffee available.

Breaks are torture. Of course I can refrigerate coffee at home, but it just isn't the same. Summers are the worst because they're the longest and not having my campus job means no income to turn into delicious iced coffee.

8. That crazy look people give you when it's five below and you're ordering an iced coffee.

Back to the thing about cold hands... While everyone seems to be getting hot tea, hot chocolate and hot coffee, you order an iced drink because of the deliciousness. It's easy to ignore the looks of "are you crazy?" until you get outside and realize that yes, yes you are crazy.

9. That moment when you realize why they're looking at you like that.... but you just walk a little faster to get to the next warm building.

Piggy-backing off of number eight, I never think it can get any colder than it already is and I only really like the iced coffee, so I just keep walking. By the time I'm halfway to my next building the coffee has chilled my very soul and I hurry to the next warm building. It's still totally worth it.

10. Your wallet looks like this because of daily coffee runs.

I too have that bad habit of stuffing the receipt in my purse, backpack or directly into my wallet. It's probably a problem that some of us have more receipts than cash in our wallets, but caffeine is always worth it!

Without a doubt, all the good qualities of iced coffee outweighs the bad. Although, considering the circumstances there is no such thing as a bad quality when it comes to iced coffee. Just minor inconveniences that can be overcome through positive thinking and a bit of preparation (such as investing in gloves and cleaning our your purse/wallet every once in a while).

What do you think are the best qualities or most inconvenient qualities of iced coffee?