15 Must-See Places In And Around York, Maine

The Best of the Best, at the Best Place on Earth.

15777
Jennifer Cote

The first time I visited York Beach, I was only three weeks old. Since then, I have been fortunate enough to spend my summers there with my family. I am often asked by seasonal visitors about some of the best things to do in York Beach. So for those of you who have the travel bug, or who have already started planning a summer vacation, let me tell you about my list of fifteen must-see places in York Beach.

1. Nubble Light

Perhaps one of the most famous attractions in York, the Nubble Lighthouse, also known as Cape Neddick Lighthouse, is something every visitor must see! The lighthouse features rocky cliffs which are perfect for climbing, and the scenery is breathtaking. Need a family picture during your trip? The lighthouse provides a perfect backdrop for a vacation you will never forget!

2. The Goldenrod

To satisfy your sweet tooth, be sure to visit the Goldenrod. First opened in 1896, the Goldenrod is a destination known and loved by generations of beachgoers and locals alike. Whether you stop in to try some of their famous Goldenrod Kisses (saltwater taffy) and other delicious delicacies, or try some of their homemade ice cream at the old fashioned soda fountain, or dine in the dining room to enjoy some American classics, the Goldenrod is a place you must visit! Take a little bit of Historic York home with you! They even ship their taffy and fudge throughout the United States!

3. Dunne's Ice Cream

York Beach is the home of many family-run ice cream shops. One of them is Dunne's. If you have not been to York in a few years, you might be disappointed to hear that Brown's Ice Cream is no longer in business. But have no fear, you can still get the flavors of ice cream you know and love at Dunne's. Although the unique landscape of Brown's provided entertainment for the kids, as they slid down the rock while parents waited to order, Dunne's features a beautiful view of the lighthouse, and much more parking!

4. Harbor Beach

The Harbor Beach is perhaps one of the lesser-known beaches of York, but it is beautiful nonetheless. Located next to the Stage Neck Inn , it is a perfect place to soak up some sun, with smaller crowds. Parking can be a problem at times, but don't let that stop you! It is not a long walk from many of the hotels and beach houses. And if you are a resident of York, you can get a parking pass at the town hall for a small fee, and have access to the parking areas and also free meter parking along Long Sands Beach. There are lifeguards on duty, and a bath house with outside showers right next to the beach. Hungry? Check out the Fat Tomato Grille, now offering delivery to the beach!

5. Long Sands Beach

Long Sands is one of the iconic beaches in York. The beach is one and a half miles long, and features adjacent metered parking spaces, and a bath house about half way down the beach. Parts of the beach have soft sand, offering a limited amount of beach space at high tide. Beware! The beach gets very busy in the peak of the summer, but it is a great place to soak up the sun and ride the waves! There are lifeguards on duty along most of the beach, and dogs are allowed during the early morning hours. There are beach umbrellas and rafts available for rent near the bath house as well!

6. Flo's Hot Dogs

A trip to York Beach is not complete without a trip to Flo's. Although the menu is simple, offering hot dogs, chips and drinks, the hot dogs are unlike any other! The buns are steamed to perfection, and they offer a variety of toppings. Be sure to try the "special sauce", which is well-known around New England! It's a Flo's specialty! Just don't go on Wednesday!

7. The Wiggly Bridge

The Wiggly Bridge is a stop that children and adults will both love! The path to the Steedman Woods features a little green bridge that wiggles when walked across. It is a popular destination for picnics or hikes in the woods. There are hiking trails through the woods, designed to provide fun and safety for all ages!

8. Concerts at Ellis Park and the Shops Downtown

If you are looking for something to do at night, check out the Ellis Park Concert Schedule. The concerts are held in the white gazebo in the center of town near Short Sands Beach. The area is also home to many shops and restaurants. The street is lined on both sides with gift shops, candy shops, a toy store, a bakery, and many restaurants. Spend as much or as little time as you would like! There is also a playground and basketball courts for some outdoor play time!

9. Trolley Rides

Tired of driving your car? Have no fear! The York Trolley Company offers round-trip or one-way trolley rides! The trolley makes various stops along Long Sands Beach, starting at Camp Eaton and ending Downtown at the Short Sands Parking Lot. There is a small area on board the trolley to store beach chairs and small strollers you may need to bring with you. On a nice day, the back of the trolley has a giant open window on each side so that passengers may enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the ocean.

10. Old Gaol and other Historic Attractions

If you are a history buff or looking for an educational experience while you are on vacation, be sure to visit York Village, home to many of Old York's historic buildings and museums. Dating back to Colonial Times, Ye Old Gaol is one of the first jails built in the United States. Outside, you can see one of the cannons and punishments that prisoners were subject to.

11. York's Wild Kingdom

If you want a day of pure fun, check out the York's Wild Kingdom! Home to many rides and attractions as well as a zoo, there is something for the whole family to love! There is a petting zoo, and natural habitat zoo exhibits. The amusement park's ferris wheel is an icon of the downtown scene!

12. Hawiian Jim's

In the heat of the summer sun, there is nothing better than an ice cold treat to help you cool off! That is where Hawiian Jim's comes in! They serve shaved ice snow cones and offer a variety of familiar flavors! Feeling adventurous? Let them choose your flavors for you! Or try one of their flavor combinations! This classic treat makes a great snack after a long day in the sun!

13. Geocaching

If adventure is your thing, check out geocaching, a little-known hobby that has made its way to York. If you are a smartphone user, you can download the geocaching app. People hide treasures in various locations, and you use the clues and the GPS feature of your phone to help find the clue. Each cache has a log book of when the loot was found. Sign your name and leave a memory at York Beach! Bring some little trinkets, sometimes there are prizes in the cache, and you can take them and leave something else for the next person who discovers the treasure!

14. Mount Agamenticus

Whether it is a hike or some sightseeing you crave, Mount Agamenticus is the perfect destination for an adventure! The mountain offers hiking trails of all ability levels or an access road to drive to the top of the mountain, and pets are allowed on leashes. The top of the mountain is home to a picnic area, and if you visit at the right time, you might find the wild blueberries in full bloom! Yum! The sights are incredible at the top of the mountain! Be sure to bring your camera!

15. Eat Lobster!

If you are a seafood lover like I am, your trip to York Beach is not complete without a lobster! Since York is a coastal town, you can find lobster on the menu at most of the restaurants in the area. Whether you choose to dine in, or eat at home, and enjoy the messy deliciousness of a lobster or the refreshing taste of a lobster roll, you have to have lobster in York!