LSU and USC: Generosity In The Face of Tragedy

Sports don't have to be disagreeable; they can bring out the best in people.

11

Even though I'm a Wofford Terrier and not officially a Gamecock, I consider myself to be both. Having grown up as the only child of two USC alums, my parents dragged me to every single USC home football game from the ages of three to 18. As a child, I did not really like going. Ask my mom, who dressed me in my USC cheerleader outfit with a big bow in my hair, about the bookbag we would pack for every game. Full of anything from coloring books to a bag full of snacks, I was sure to be occupied during the game. In one instance, I remember begging my mom to let me leave the game early so that we could go play “red light, green light” in the parking lot. Yet, as I grew older, I came to love the games. Saturdays were fun and I looked forward to going to Williams Brice just as much as my dad. I knew the players names, much to the surprise of the boys in my 5th grade class, and always seemed to love the kickers the most: Succop and Lanning.

So, when I heard that the USC vs. LSU game was moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana because of the flooding in Columbia, I was not surprised. Of course LSU would love to host the game, for reasons like home field advantage, no traveling, and more fans. Yet, I was pleasantly surprised by how much of an effort LSU has made to make the Gamecocks feel at home in Baton Rouge. Not that I think unfavorably of LSU, just after always seeing the “negative” side of sports, it’s so nice see the ways that they can bring people together.

Upon agreeing to host the Gamecock's home game in Death Valley, the Tigers have provided other benefits to help both the Gamecocks and the city of Columbia:

• All proceeds from tickets to the game will go directly to aid those in need in Columbia.
  • USC students can purchase student tickets for $5.
  • The LSU band learned both the USC alma mater and fight song to be played before the game. Video:
  • http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-...
  • LSU let USC use their previously scheduled airline to fly the Gamecocks from Columbia to Baton Rouge.
  • USC’s famous playing of “Sandstorm” will be heard in Death Valley on Saturday.
  • LSU allowed USC to wear, by choice, all white for the game.
  • There is a free tailgate for all USC and LSU fans before the game.
  • A moment of silence will be heard before the game.
  • The American Red Cross will be taking up money for victims at the game.
  • Many banners reading “Geaux Gamecocks” can be seen throughout Baton Rouge showing support for the Gamecocks.
  • The South Carolina state flag and Gamecock flag will be flying high in Tiger Stadium on Saturday.

Upon thinking about this conviviality, I was reminded by my dad how Arizona State University showed this same sportsmanship for LSU in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina affected the city of Baton Rouge. This reminds us that the generosity on part of LSU is not just a means of helping those in need but part of a greater “pay it forward” idea. LSU is showing love to USC just as Arizona State showed to them and I feel sure Gamecock nation will find a way to continue to pay it forward to someone else.

So, thank you LSU, and even Arizona State University, for helping Gamecock Nation during this time of need. We appreciate your continued support and look forward to the game on Saturday. Your generosity is something both us and the city of Columbia will never forget.

In closing, I say, let’s do this Gamecock nation—for all of the people in Columbia, all Gamecock fans watching at home, all of Louisiana, and for every single person who contributed their time and effort to help the flood victims. This game is for you. Go Gamecocks!

PS: LSU beat Arizona State 35-31 in 2005

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-...