The 10 PNM Types

Sororities across America are experiencing recruitment week in full swing, or are still in the planning process.

Fall recruitment is Christmas for sorority women. The stress piles high, emotions run crazy, but deep down inside we are anxiously awaiting bid day. Hundreds of potential new members (PNMs) are visiting our homes, getting to know us, and witnessing our sisterhood bond. Every single PNM is different and you just do not know who is going to come around. If this is not your first rendezvous with recruitment you may have a slight idea of what to anticipate in your PNM. 

1. Miss Legacy. We all look forward to meeting this PNM, for the very reason that our sorority is in her blood. It is always nice to have a PNM who has been waiting to meet us most of her life, as much as we have been waiting for this week. 

2. Miss Over Achiever. She is book smart and has never received any letter grade below a B. She goes above and beyond to prove that she is the best and, most often, she is. Every conversation you may have with her goes beyond her favorite nail polish. This PNM has greatness written on her forehead.

3. Miss Questionable. Judging someone by the way they appear is horrible. Humans do this without noticing and it's inevitable. She comes off as decent and you need more than one encounter with her. There is just something about her that you cannot read.  

4. Miss Your New Little. You sit down for your first conversation and it is love at first sight. You both babble on, and when the rotation is over you cannot help but frown. You look forward to seeing her the next day and, of course, bid day! In your head you are already planning out big/little adventures. 

5. Miss Lilly Pulitzer. This is the future First Lady of America. She is beautiful and proper from head to toe. Not only does she know how to dress, but she screams your sororities values.  

6. Miss Hometown. This PNM, most likely, knows sone or more of your sisters already. They all come from the same hometown. There is a great possibility that she has similar welcomed attributes of your sorority sisters. You may also use this as a little cheat sheet because you will know a bit about her before she walks through your doors.

7. Miss THOT. I think we have all established what a "THOT" is by now, but let's review. She gets around and she is slightly proud of it. She probes with the question, "What do y'all do for fun on the weekends?" You joyfully respond, "My sisters and I paint banners for upcoming events, watch Pretty Little Liars, study together and when we are stressed we like to go dancing or craft!." You immediately know where this is going after she scrunches her overly painted face. She constantly refers to fraternity parties and fraternities, in general, as if she was born for them. 

8. Miss Persistent. She is not a new face and she is determined to become a sorority girl. This PNM has been partaking in fall and spring recruitment since her first year at college. Unfortunately, this circulates around Greek life very quickly and, for whatever reason, she is not invited back. Greek life is not for everyone. If it were then what would be so special and unique about us? 

9. Miss Oatmeal. What is your name again? This is the girl you do not remember, this should be a hint. It is not because you can't keep a conversation or you don't have anything in common, but because she is not interesting. She is bland and in a sea of hundreds of PNM she will be lost. 

10. Miss Bye. This girl would rather suicide all sororities, but one. The only reason she does not is because most campuses have a no tolerance rule for this. You may be able to spot her because she bluntly states her love for another sorority or is completely disengaged. 

New members are the lifeline to sororities. So, if you are an initiated sorority woman, the pressure of having a successful recruitment is clear and finding the best new members is key. There can be a mix of the Misses listed above in one PNM. This mix can be favorable, or not. It is important to remember that the new members we want are ones who reflect our values, will improve our organization, have scholastic abilities, shows interest in involvement, and can represent us in all ways positive.