The Best Tacos For Every Situation Around the U.S.

Geographically Tracking Tacos

145
Tumblr

If you're like me, you have a very serious relationship with tacos. To the extent that you have let tacos be a centric part of all other relationships in your life. Maybe you even cut people out of your life who don't fit into your taco addiction. That's okay, those people are not on your team anyway. Tacos are safe. Tacos are a lifestyle. Tacos are home. And when you're away from home, it's hard to think of a world without a good reliable taco. Therefore, here is a list of geographical tacos, for your taco-fueled travels.

California:

Dinner Before a Concert

El Cholo- Downtown, Los Angeles

These tacos are right across the street from the Staples Center, but not right in the middle of it all so you won't be swarmed by Kings fans, Katy Perry fans, or whatever convention might be happening. And their guacamole is incredible, which is the most important taco topping, obviously.

Dinner Before a Formal Event

Mas Malo - Downtown, Los Angeles

If you have a frat formal or a special event in Los Angeles, something that you know will take stamina and rallying, then the perfect tacos to stuff yourself with are here in this Downtown location. Close to modern museums, the 101 and 110, it's a centric location that can pack in a lot of people. Think like 15 sorority girls and their dates.

Hungover at Brunch Tacos

Millies - Silverlake, Los Angeles

This location is great if you want to feel hip and healthy. Since I have gluten and dairy intolerance, and I also have severe fish and nut allergies, it's hard to find an accommodating brunch location. Especially on mornings after a great night out, the last thing you want to worry about is dietary restrictions. Not only does Millie's have fantastic breakfast tacos, but they have lots of pancake options (including gluten free) and other carby tasty treats for your hungover friends. Whether it's after a night in West Hollywood, or a concert downtown, Silverlake is the perfect location for a morning pick me up between Sundaze adventures.

Cheap Date From a Dying Romance

Dona Rosa- Closed, Los Angeles

A little grim but worth sharing. I couldn't possibly talk about Los Angeles without mentioning the real MVP- Dona Rosa chicken tacos with special green salsa. It is a true crime that this Pasadena location closed down, the same owners as El Cholo above. The $1 tacos on Tuesdays were spectacular after long travel days. But it did occasionally induce food poisoning, so maybe it's for the best. If anything this is a cry for help to find the best verde sauce replacement, so if you taste something, say something, and leave a comment.

Road Trip

El Ranchito - Pacific Coast Highway, Laguna Beach/Corona Del Mar

If you've been hitting the PCH on a grand adventure, a great place to stop is any of the El Ranchito's along the way. Luckily they're strewn across the beach communities south of Los Angeles, so they are also a great reward after a day at the beach!

Shredding the Gnar

Chronic Taco - Beaches Across Southern California

I couldn't mention tacos without my first love. I lost it to Chronic Tacos when I was young and impressionable, and I didn't realize it was a dysfunctional relationship until I found myself learning the Spanish words for Fish and allergy and ended up meeting some attractive beach paramedics as I got rushed to the hospital. But I am mature enough now that I can share Chronic Taco with other people. I can put others first. So please, hit that for me.

St. Louis:

Being the headquarters of Webster University, as well as the town of which I was raised under the religion of Ritualistic Taco Consumption, I accumulated the largest reference base for taco indulgence. Thus, I have a thorough list waiting for you to crunch through.

Friday Night In With Friends

Nacho Mama's - Manchester Road

These are probably the best drive-thru tacos you'll find in St. Louis, the rest on the list you have to pray and park. They also have gluten free shell options. I like to get them made special with Pineapple Pork. And since it's family run they're happy to accommodate... but closed on Sundays...Jesus.

Dinner and Drinks Date

Cantina Laredo- Clayton

I've been told this has great margaritas, and is also some of the best guacamole of the midwest. The taco's are also tasty, and the Mexican rice is the least peppery I've found in St. Louis. It's a real shame the lack of quality Mexican rice and guacamole in St. Louis, so you have to pay up a bit to get something comparable to Los Angeles. Just drink a margarita and you'll forget the cost of the night. Plus, it's in Clayton so it's close to some bars.

To Feel Hip But You’re Still In Missouri

Mission Taco - The Loop

I can't eat here but I've been asked here on a few dates. I always defer us to the place below. And they're grateful because the cost is significantly less. But if you want hip street tacos and a fun young environment, this is the place to be before 23. Especially because it's near Wash U campus.

Your Happy Place, Your Safe Place, Your Home

Seoul Taco - The Loop

No taco, and no man, will every treat you like Seoul Taco. Not even Ryan Gosling. Seoul Taco is in it for the long haul. They are provided conveniently for Wash U and Mizzou students. And they're such quick carry-out makers. Their shirts have tiger and tacos emojis on it. The music is all over the place. It looks like a 90s dream of the future. Like if Space Mountain had a taco joint. The tacos are out of this world, and the experience is like finding true love.

Any Emergency

Chipotle - Everywhere

Chipotle is the ultimate emergency food. You can get the app on your phone. It sources its food from happy sources. And unless you're in one of these states, you should be safe. It's like a sophisticated Taco Bell. Quality guac for a quality price, but in a perfect world, all guac would be free.

Austin, Texas:

If you're going to Austin for the first time, you'll need at least one point of reference before you dive into Tex Mex heaven.

First Day in Austin

Guero's Taco Bar - South Congress

You'll want to get your first bite right. There's so many great local establishments that are also Earth-positive. Before I knew I would be giving up Dona Rosa's special salsa verde forever, I remember thinking fondly on my trip to Austin that the salsa here was comparable. The quality of the tacos were also significant enough that in the whole week of SXSW, I went probably 4 times. They weren't just fly-by tacos. They were the real deal. Plus there are lots of niche food trucks around to complete a tourista meal, so you could grab tacos here, fresh squeeze artisan lemonade there, spend all your pocket money on cowboy boots, and then finish off the trek with a cupcake, all on South Congress. It's just a hop, skip, and a line dance across the bridge to Downtown Austin. And they have Uber. In fact, all the cities listed have Uber.

NYC:

So you're on a college budget and need some tacos. Here are some recommendations from pseudo-credible sources- NYU kids. And if they're not credible, at least they're cool. They know how to get 'lit' and 'turn up for tacos'. Or whatever.

Needing Tacos in New York City on a College Budget

My brother goes to NYU, so he's much more hip and cool and edgy, and these are his recommendations. I would have just said "Chipotle is everywhere".

1. Tacombi - Elizabeth Street, NYC

"Tacombi is honestly the only one I go to" he says, in his too-cool-for-you- attitude. At least that's how I interpret it over text.

2. Horchata - 6th Ave, Between 11th and 12th, NYC

"But people like Horchata" apparently. Well the people have spoken, there are your recommendations for NYC.

Memphis, Tennessee:

If you're heading south, here are some collegiate favorites before you dive deep into the deep fried green tomatoes.

Thursday Night with the Bestie

El Mezcal - 3 locations in Memphis

This looks like something you could mess with. Prices below $10, organized lunch specials, and lots of drink options. Looks like a guilty pleasure palace to me.

Weeknight with the Squad

Frida's - Madison Ave, Memphis

If you need to take the whole squad out to celebrate, whether it's your sorority family, your study group, or your fellow tortured interns, you need a place to decompress and treat yo self. It looks like this is the place. Nicer interior than El Mezcal, it's better for a group setting than a Netflix Binge With Bestie pre-game

With Your Parents Because $$$

Swankys - East Memphis.

These tacos are more pricey but you want to look like you have your life together when you have parents, friends, significant others in town. That's why this is a great location to show your loved ones Memphis the best way to a good person's heart, through tacos. It's a taco bar, so it gets it, on a spiritual level. So if someone is willing to throw a little cash your way, or at least split the check, this looks like the taco place for you. (Two for one Margaritas on Tuesdays).

Washington DC:

You're in DC and you have to save the President of the United States, but you need a taco? Look no further.

A Night of Being Olivia Pope

District Taco- American University friendly

If you're in DC and need to educate yourself on the great country we reside in, but also need some tacos. Look no further. We have options.

Anywhere Else:

You Just Need a Taco

Taco Bell

The Doritos Los Tacos are transcendent and there might never be any healthy equivalent ever invented. So you may just need to settle for Taco Bell.