Why The NFL Needs to Move Past Marshawn Lynch

22
cbssports.com

Harassment is often seen as a means to disturb someone repeatedly, which is what we have seen repeatedly from the NFL actions taken against Marshawn Lynch.

To give a quick background on Marshawn Lynch: he has never liked talking to the media. Lynch has been in the NFL since 2007, and not talking to the media has not been a problem with the NFL until this year. The NFL demanded that Marshawn :ynch needed to be present in the media or he would receive a fine of $50,000. Lynch, even though he was displeased with the idea, decided to cooperate. 

I understand the NFL's reasoning behind it. The Superbowl is an important time for media coverage and not having one of the biggest stars of the Seattle Seahawks present is a bit concerning. I get that. However, the NFL has gone too far this year with the constant harassment. Lynch is now the highest fined player of 2014-15 season, racking up nearly $131,050. 

The fining began in November, when he received a fine of $100,000 for not talking to the media. Lynch did receive several warnings before the fine, but $100,000 just because he doesn't want to talk to the media? Really?

After receiving the fine, Lynch realized that he had no choice but to interview with the media. For the next couple of weeks, Lynch did the interviews, which were pointless. Lynch responded to every question with one word answers, which people enjoyed for the most part. 

Most people remember the response of "yeah", "I'm thankful" and "thanks for asking." And then, the most important answer: "why do y'all keep doing this every week?" 

After seeing the interviews that took place, wouldn't it seem reasonable to assume that these interviews aren't working, and that the NFL shouldn't force Marshawn Lynch to interview? 

Apparently not, because they just kept this crap going. What's interesting is that I don't remember Rodger Goodell, NFL commissioner, getting forced to be interviewed by the media when he was being accused of knowing information about the Ray Rice scandal. I guess if you're the commissioner you don't need to abide by the same rules as the players. That seems legit. 

Do you think that seems fair, Marshawn? 

Honestly, if the $100,000 fine was all it was and the NFL laid off him for a while, then it wouldn't have been that big a deal. The NFL didn't stop there, though. In week 16 against the Arizona Cardinals, Marshawn Lynch went on a 79 yard run for a touchdown and proceeded to grab his crotch while scoring. 

The NFL proceeded to fine Marshawn Lynch $11,050. The NFL described it as an, "Obscene Gesture," which seems pretty dumb, but okay. Can't grab your skittles when you score a touchdown, I get that. I'm okay with that, it makes complete sense. But wait, didn't Marshawn Lynch do the exact same thing against the New Orleans Saints in 2011? 

Yes, he sure did. Lynch was not fined for that "obscene gesture." Looks like they added "crotch grab" to the obscene gesture list in the last three years. 

The question that should be asked about this whole fiasco is why wasn't the obscene gesture rule implemented earlier in the year? In week 14 against the Buccaneers, Joseph Fauria (tight end for Lions) did a humping dance to take a shot his wife for cheating on him, and received no fine. 

I may not be an expert on the justifications of what may be seen as an "obscene gesture," but I feel like a humping dance is right up there with a crotch grab. If the NFL is going to prescribe this doctrine, then it must be implemented to all players. 

The NFL then had another problem with Marshawn Lynch during the NFC Championship. Marshawn Lynch wanted to wear a special pair of cleats that the NFL completely disapproved of because they were non-sanctioned gear. The NFL threatened to eject Lynch if he wore them.

Ejecting him because of these shoes? Why? Because Marshawn Lynch is practically dripping swag-goo? Well, it didn't matter because Lynch did right by his team and chose not to wear the cleats. 

The NFL must of been frustrated with the fact that they couldn't eject him from the game, which might be why he received a $20,000 late in the fourth quarter for a semi-crotch grab, which hardly anyone noticed until watching the replay days later. Going back to what Marshawn said himself: "why do y'all keep doing this every week?" 

It is harassment. The NFL is looking to him every week to see how they can fine him or put him in a uncomfortable position. The NFL is just looking to get Marshawn Lynch everywhere they can and, it's time for them to move on. 

This last week, the issue with deflated ball scandal with the New England Patriots has been blown up in the media and the NFL says that they are working on investigation. 

I find it hard to believe that that's in their top priority, considering the fact that the NFL seems to be too busy fining Marshawn Lynch for grabbing his "beast mode". 

It's frustrating to see that the NFL is focused solely on one player. There are 31 other teams, and on each of those teams is 54 members on that roster. Many of said members are participating in actions much more detrimental to the league. 

A prime example would be the assault charges that were seen this year levied against Ray Rice. You think after the Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson scandals, they would be inclined to reach out to players to put this problem to a rest.

What I'm trying to say, overall, is that its time to stop harassing Marshawn Lynch and focus on the real issues other players are causing.