Why Frozen Should be your Favorite Movie

310

Let’s be honest, Disney’s Frozen is your favorite movie ever. If you disagree, you’re just kidding yourself. It’s kind of like how you say you’re going to go to the gym everyday… we both know it’s just not happening. And Frozen is still your favorite movie. 

So yes we are college students that have outgrown most of our childhood obsessions, but who said we were too old for Disney movies? As a matter of fact, I personally believe no one will ever be too old for Disney movies. Let’s face it, by now we have all seen the newest animated masterpiece, and have fallen in love. Since it’s release last November, the movie has been overwhelmingly popular, with all ages and even both genders. I'm pretty sure some of my guy friends like this movie more than little kiddies do... Here’s just a few reasons why you should love this movie:

It’s a throwback, just like our bustling instagram feeds on Thursdays, it makes us nostalgic of all of the Disney movies we love and grew up watching. The movies that had fun characters, mystical magic spells, and outstanding musical numbers. It rivals the old classics like The Lion King, Tarzan, and The Little Mermaid

The Frozen music is just so damn catchy, and you can’t help but listen to it on repeat, and of course sing along. Both Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell kill it on the vocals. So take to Spotify, and add them to your pump up playlists. You’re welcome.  

The magical town of Arendelle, set in the middle of a Norwegian fjord, takes us back to the time of beautiful castles, lavish parties, and most importantly princesses. Even though we technically didn't live this life, we did vicariously through trips to Disney World, wanting nothing more than a pic with your favorite princess. 

Princess Ana is a totally relatable Disney character, awkward, clumsy, loving, and unique. Let’s be honest, we have all had those mornings where we wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or accidentally said something to that really cute boy you definitely didn’t mean to say out loud (whoops). Ana’s sole purpose is to save her town and mend relationship with her sister, but it definitely doesn’t hurt she finds a cutie along the way…

Fortunately for us, Frozen doesn't have just one princess, rather two leading ladies. In addition to Ana, we get the complete bad ass that is her sister, Queen Elsa. She accidentally sets Arendelle into an eternal winter, unable to control her mystic abilities. She runs away and tries to “let go” of all of her troubles, starting over alone, where she knows she won’t hurt anyone else and she can be herself. She eventually realizes love is the key, and her and Ana save the day. Also, the girl can rock a side braid. 

Although Ana and Elsa are the main focus of the movie, you can’t forget about Olaf, the witty sidekick snowman that adds sarcasm, love and a lighthearted feel to tense situations. His star moment (apart from any time he opens his mouth) is his musical number dedicated to his love of summer and all things warm, no one quite wants to tell him the reality of his situation. (Avoid: all mention of puddles.) His one-liners will get you every time, and well really, who doesn’t love warm hugs?!

Kristoff is absolutely adorable, and even though he’s animated, in real life you know he’d be so hot. Astonishingly, he breaks the Disney stereotype that the princess doesn’t end up with Prince Charming, rather the bumbling “fixer-uper” that is Kristoff.  His goofy sidekick Sven and his ‘love expert’ family of trolls make him the complete package. 

There’s not a typical villain. Sure, we love to hate the charming gold-digging Prince Hans and the creepy Duke of Weaseltown, but their contribution to the story is minimal, contrary to most Disney movies.  The main focus is on the adventures and relationship between the sisters, not the villain. (Although my friend and I did try to get #hansisabitch trending-- but that’s besides the point.)

There are in fact two arrested development references throughout the movie, the first when the Duke of Weasletown dances the classic Bluth chicken dance around Ana at Elsa’s coronation ball. And the second During Ana and Han’s duet “Love is an Open Door,” the duo apparently finish each others sandwiches, just as Lindsay and Michael do. 

So if you haven’t been convinced, I’m sorry your life is so seemingly sad. Alternatively if you haven’t seen it yet, congrats on being less than 1% of the population. Get on it because you are missing out, and are in for quite the treat. Because for the first time in forever, Frozen has captured our hearts, and we aren’t going to let it go anytime soon.