Am I A TRAINWRECK?

Am I A TRAINWRECK?

How Amy Schumer proved to be my spirit animal: an honest review of her new movie.

65
Am I A TRAINWRECK?
starMedia

This weekend, like most weekends, I found myself at the movie theater to see a newly released film to entertain myself for a couple hours. After watching a couple of her comedy sketches, I quickly made up my mind that it was "Trainwreck" starring Amy Schumer that would be my watch for the weekend.

Schumer is typically known for her risque humor and fight to be who she is without trying to fit the desired norms of Hollywood and even society today. I'm not a raging feminist, but it's awesome to see that she can look however she wants and truly doesn't care what you or anyone else thinks. At her Glamour Women of the Year acceptance speech, Schumer made her case and point, stating, "I'm 160 pounds, and I can catch a dick whenever I want." No words have ever been more true. (I mean about being that size; I'm not up-to-date on Ms. Schumer's sex life.)

As you can tell, I'm an avid movie-goer, and even worked in a movie theater over one summer, so I can be really picky about my movies. With that said, I left the theater in tears and noted that this was the best movie I have seen in a LONG time. This may even rank in the top five movies I've ever seen. The tears came because I found the movie so relatable and so true to who I am. I'm still contemplating whether or not that's a good thing. Schumer kept it real and showed the world how her humor actually can prove a message in real lives. It was comical, and I loved every moment of the film.

I promise, it's not your typical romantic comedy.

Throughout the film, I heard many signs of approval through laughs and even the spontaneous comments like "Oh, you know it, girl" coming from the crowd. The audience was filled with a surprisingly equal number of men and women for being this week's rom-com. Even the men walking out of the theater seemed to be really happy with the film and chatted about how funny Schumer was and not to mention how hot she proved to be.

I don't want to give any spoilers away because I recommend you get off your computer and go get tickets right away, but I will say these few things about how Schumer proved to be my dream woman as far as someone I would want to be like. (In other words, Schumer is my spirit animal.)

1. She isn't afraid to be herself.

Though there were points that seemed "broken" about her and she may not have known exactly how to love, she is true to who she is and that's what all women need to do, including myself.

2. She loves herself some wine among other alcoholic beverages.

Do I need to explain? I mean, come on, we all love those one or two (OK, maybe three) glasses of pinot every once in a while. And that's not including the two shots we just took. Can you blame a girl?

3. She dates around.

I mean, we all do. Not all of us are lucky enough to find Mr. Perfect the first time around, so you have to do some looking rather than end up with Mr. I Didn't Know I Was Gay or Mr. I'm John Cena But Everyone Mistakes Me For Mark Wahlberg. It takes a few duds to find your firework. (I was pulling for you, though, John.)

4. She loves her family.

You'll see through the picture that she's a family girl, and though the cards might not be stacked in her favor, she's strong and knows that the family unit is just a strong.

5. She taught me that it will all be OK.

Everyone goes through breakups, makeups, and other sorts of depressing things. I've recently been going through my own lately, and I couldn't have imagined that Schumer would steal my life and make a movie about it, but she did. In the end, she showed me it would be OK, and I just have to take it one step at a time.

So thank you, Amy Schumer. Not only did you give me my new favorite summertime movie, but you also helped show me who I am and helped me grow. You're a comedic genius and give young women like myself someone to really look up to.