Today I Am A Sorority Alumna

Today I Am A Sorority Alumna

It's not just for four years...

1958
Today I Am A Sorority Alumna

The school year is rapidly coming to a close and senioritis has never felt so real. As younger students pack their lives into boxes, I want to slap some sense into those who do not appreciate this time. College will be over before you know it. With final exams just around the corner, other aspects of an undergraduate experience must also come to an end.

For the past four years, I was an active member of a sorority. As a timid, incoming freshman, I did not know anything about sororities but heard a lot of talk about "rushing" as soon as I set foot on campus. One wide-eyed student mentioned that not wearing heels was a free pass for rejection. I hardly ever wear heels. I'm tall enough already, I thought. The whole thing sounded pretty intimidating.

Not knowing what to expect, I ended up registering for the recruitment process a couple days before the deadline. As I sat on my bed, wiping tears from my eyes because my parents just left me in a jail cell-sized dorm room, I realized this was something I needed to do for myself. Also, my mom told me I should. Mother knows best, right?

To say I was not prepared would be an understatement. My apprehensive self was forced to speak and open up to complete strangers. I was repeatedly asked the same questions, whether the girls were bubbly or uninviting -- there was a mixture of both. "Where are you from?" What's your major?" "Why do you want to join a sorority?" Eventually I generated a response to spit back at them without even thinking. I felt awkward, my feet were sore from standing for hours, my throat dry from talking. My cheeks hurt from the permanent smile I formed across my face. Feelings of hunger and disappointment churned in my stomach. But at the end of the week, I had a bid in my hand. A plain, white envelope with my name scribbled on the front and a printed card inside welcoming me into a group of girls that I didn't know -- a sisterhood.

On that day, I could never imagine that something I knew absolutely nothing about would end up meaning so much to me. Without my sorority, I would not have met my best friends. I would not have studied abroad for a semester. And I am pretty sure I would be nowhere near the confidence level that I have now. My sorority helped me grow as an individual.

Within my sorority, I found the home away from home that I always wanted. I found a place where I feel safe and comfortable -- a support system. While I was states away from familiar faces, I was given a group of people to confide in. After years of holding multiple appointed officer positions, attending themed socials, and blowing hundreds of dollars on t-shirts -- it is all over.

Last week I went to my last chapter meeting. As I glanced around the room, several of my sisters were tearing up at the thought of never being a part of this organization in the same way again. For those involved in Greek life, you know chapter meetings become part of your routine. All of my Sundays at 6 p.m. were dedicated to this gathering. Strangely, I didn't cry. I am not depressed or heartbroken over the fact I am no longer a collegiate member. I am content.

Today, I am an alumna.