Welcome To Collier Library

Welcome To Collier Library

Check out everything our wonderful library offers.

13
Welcome To Collier Library
UNA

When I was a freshman on campus at UNA, I had no idea what was available to me on campus. I thought I knew what I was going to need when it came to classes, especially when it came to the library. I spent three summers volunteering at the my town's local library, so I thought I knew enough about libraries. I used to think I could do my work in my dorm room and get everything done that I needed to.

I was so wrong. But even after using only a few of the services available at the library, I still had no idea what was truly out there. Eventually, I was lucky enough to secure a job at Collier Library and I was able to learn just how the library operated and what was offered to students and faculty. I was amazed. While this list is in no way comprehensive, it does highlight a portion of the services offered to help students.

1. Books!

It's a library. They have books. Collier is home to so many books on just about everything. I have spent enough time in the stacks and enough time unboxing them to confirm this. Books are constantly being ordered, so there will always be new books readily available for students and faculty to use.

Our online catalog is always up-to-date, and if you ever need to look up a particular type of book, just head on over to the library homepage and make use of the online catalog. Most books are typically located on the second and third floors, with a few exceptions. If they are on reserve, they can be found at the Help Desk. If they are a part of our Alabama Collection they can be found in the basement. Collier also offers popular reading books, not just academic books, so if you are looking for something new to read, come and check out the collection on the first floor.

2. Study Rooms and Areas

If you need a quiet place to study and get away from the distractions of a dorm or home, the library is a perfect place. There are study areas located on every floor. The 2nd and 3rd floor are the designated quiet floors, but the other floors are appropriate for those who need to work together, but don't want to get a study room.

Study rooms are also available for those with groups, or those who want a room to themselves to do what they need. These rooms are great and super easy to reserve. If you know ahead of time that you need a room (up to four weeks), you can reserve online here.

All of the study rooms come equip with whiteboards, so if you need markers, just ask at the help desk. Also, fans are available for check out for the rooms.

3. Computers and Printers

If you ever need to do some work on campus, but don't have a laptop, Collier is the perfect place to go. Several computers are available to for student and faculty use. All that is required to login is your UNA username and password.

Want to use a laptop? Students can check those out as well. You can rent them for up to two hours at a time .

Collier also has printers that are available for student use. It's 10 cents per every black and white page, and 30 cents for color printing. The library is also home to copiers as well that copy for 10 cents a page.

4. DVDs

Believe or not, Collier is also home to an impressive collections of DVDs that not only include documentaries, but also popular movies. I can personally attest to the fact that new movies are regularly ordered. From Classic Hollywood to last year's Academy Award nominees, there is a huge selection of movies ready to watch. This section of the library is also home to TV shows. Want to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Downton Abbey" and see what all the fuss is about? You can!

5. Interlibrary loan

This is a really cool service that is meant to help students find particular books they need that the library does not currently have. If you can't find what you need in the UNA catalog, try here. Requests do take time because they have to be requested and mailed from other libraries.

6. Consultations

Are you having a hard time with a research paper and finding sources? If so, try a research consultation with one of the librarians. This is a service meant to help students navigate the library and to help them find the sources they need to succeed.

7. Other services

On the library homepage, there are links to other services like streaming media with everything from academic videos to Shakespearean plays. My favorite is Swank Digital Campus, which is a site that is home to important films like "Citizen Kane" and "Singing in the Rain."

Our library here at the University of North Alabama strives to provide the best services possible. I am not lying when I say the library is constantly updating and changing.

If you want to see everything the library has to offer, check out the library homepage.