The Georgia Panhellenic Playlist

The Georgia Panhellenic Playlist

Which Song is Your Sorority?

140
The Georgia Panhellenic Playlist
twitter.com/ugapanhellenic

Every girl has that certain song that, when it comes on, she can't help but scream a little bit on the inside. She smiles brightly and her entire face lights up as she starts belting out the lyrics. With infectious enthusiasm, her singing becomes contagious and before you know it...you find it impossible to resist the urge to sway along and get caught in the melodies and beats.

Here at UGA, by simply glancing up and down Milledge, it's obvious that each sorority has a specific "melody". Varying in beats and lyrics that are utterly unique, identities are ascribed to each Panhellenic Sorority - with no two girls alike in any single chapter. Existing as individuals bonded through their letters, there's something mystical about the binding power of a song as girls to unite, singing at the top of their vocal chords: loud and proud!

So here it is—the definitive list of every sorority and their accompanying theme song. So listen close, pull up your Spotify, create that awesome new playlist, and feel the melody of each sorority.

Alpha Chi Omega: “Sweet Caroline” – Neil Diamond

If Neil Diamond wasn't thinking about a sweet AXO named Caroline when he was writing this song, then he must have been dreaming about meeting her. Described as both classy and irresistible,  “Sweet Caroline” perfectly captures the ladies of AXO. The song and the girls are equal parts whimsical and adorable. It’s an undeniable classic and everyone loves the tune. With these sisters good times have never truly felt so good—“so good, so good!”     

Alpha Delta Pi: “Party in the U.S.A.” – Miley Cyrus                        

If there ever was going to be a perfect ADPi in this world, it would be Miley Cyrus, pre-twerk phase. With her perfectly colored and curled hair, hip outfits, and infectiously sweet personality, she would fit right in. You can’t help but belt it and swing your hips. This song and the girls of ADPi are definitely a party at UGA.   

Alpha Gamma Delta: “Treasure” – Bruno Mars                              

"Treasure, that is what you are...Honey, you're my golden star." Once you hear Bruno Mars's song fusing disco and upbeat vibes, you realize that this is the perfect anthem for any sweet Alpha Gam. Goofy and entertaining, this lively song is the ideal theme song for this sorority. The girls in it know they have hit the jackpot with their sisters and can "treasure" it with this groovy hit.    

Alpha Omicron Pi: “Love On Top” – Beyoncé                              

It's undeniable: if you're a girl, you are 99% more likely to love and worship Queen Bey. Bey is considered to be an all around perfect human with many different sides to her personality...and this one just gets AOII girls. The best combination of sassy and cute, AOII's are the type of girls that are perfect and still know how to party. When it comes to sisterhood, these girls are as true as it gets. Knowing exactly what it means to put each other before everything, any one of these sisters would drop anything to help out a friend. If we're going to be totally honest, I could absolutely see them practicing trust falls while jamming to this song.      

Chi Omega: “Jubel” – Klingande                                                    

"Jubel" is to music as Chi-Os are to UGA Greek Life: hippie, upbeat, and incontestably freakin’ cool. With a clear cutting saxophone and upbeat rhythms, Klingande's "Jubel" brings to thought only happy memories. Represented literally as owls, the reoccurring symbol of feathers and sunshine throughout this video captures their spirit of easy-going optimism. Effortless and free, this song should definitely play anytime a Chi-O walks into the building.   

Delta Delta Delta: “Fancy” – Iggy Azalea ft. Charlie XCX             

First things first, the Tri-Delts are the "realest". When they get dropped off on Milledge, they let the whole world feel it. Just like the song Tri-Delts are no doubt classy and quite literally "fancy". They're always down for a good time, but you’ll never have to worry about holding their hair in the bathroom. Able to hold their weight, Tri-Delts are fiercely independent much like our dear celebrity would-be Tri-Delt, Iggy Azalea. Watching Iggy's music video is not only a candy land of color, but also a throwback to my favorite 80s movie, Clueless, a movie about flirty fashionistas: thus the resemblance is really uncanny.      

Delta Gamma: “Rather Be” – Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne  

Whether it is a movie night with ordered-in Jimmy Johns or a wild night of downtown shenanigans after a social, there really is no better group to hangout with than the girls of Delta Gamma. Making memories through the good times and the bad, these girls are 'anchored' to one another and truly bring out the best in one another. Dedicated to their bonds of sisterhood, with "every step" they take, once you go DG there's really "no Place" you'd rather be. When the DG sisters are together, you better hope that you're lucky enough to be hanging out with them too.

Delta Zeta: “Shower” – Becky G                                                    

Described on Wikipedia as a “singer, actress, and dancer", Becky G embodies the spirit of Delta Zeta. Considered to be a "triple threat"  with one of the catchiest songs of the year, Becky G is a smash hit. Bouncy and perfect for an all-girls dancing party before a night out, this song definitely fits the DZ ladies. Becky G and the DZ's are like a hotter Selena Gomez 2.0 that isn’t obsessed with Justin Bieber (Thank God).   

Gamma Phi Beta: “Live While We’re Young” – One Direction 

If there ever was a sorority to be the first ones up at a karaoke tournament, it would be the Gamma Phis and no doubt this song would be their #1 pick. Always down for a night full of adventures there's no force on earth that can stop a Gamma Phi from jumping in the North Campus fountain while singing the “Friends” theme song and eating pizza (both of these things I’ve admittedly done with some Gamma Phis at midnight). This One Direction song represents the Gamma Phis perfectly: energetic, adorable, and full of the best surprises.   

Kappa Alpha Theta: “Last Friday Night” – Katy Perry              

When it comes to sororities, Thetas no doubt have the best stories ever. They go out casually on a Friday night and somehow end up starting an entire bar dance party, calling the DAWGS, performing a flawless Bourbon cat walk, getting free drinks, getting backstage at a Georgia Theater concert, and essentially becoming Queens of the downtown scene. Once the week's over and it's Friday all over again you too will be chanting TGIF with your best Theta friends. On the rare occasion that you don't find a Theta downtown as a social butterfly, you might find them all piling all the mattresses in the house together for an epic movie night. Whatever it is, you know that you want to be around them just to hear about what they did “Last Friday Night.”    

Kappa Delta: “XO” – Beyoncé                                                    

Beyoncé is like a carnival queen in the music video for “XO” and the KD ladies are absolutely ready for a fun night anywhere. One of the more soulful songs of her visual album, with cropped beach waves and an easy smile, the KD's resemble this side of Beyoncé in many ways: carefree, trendy, and fun. They are the type of girls of stand out in a crowd. Once you find them, you can't help but want to spend all of your time with them. Considered to besome of the most carefree girls around, a date night with a KD is the perfect get away, similar to carnivals and sea side roller coasters. One thing is for sure; these sisters love each other like XO.   

Kappa Kappa Gamma: “Crazy Kids” – Ke$ha                              

If we're going to be honest we all know that inside each and every Kappa there is a miniature Ke$sha just waiting to break free and dive head first into a pool full of glitter. Out of the countless of Ke$ha smash hits, “Crazy Kids” describes the Kappa girls best. Out of all sororities on campus, Kappas are always the ones you can count on to be dancing in the streets or introducing themselves to complete strangers. Whenever you see a girl out  flaunting some sort of ridiculous outfit: you better bet it's a Kappa. At peace with themselves and the philosophy of "we play hard, we live hard, we love hard, we light up the dark!" you know exactly whom they are just by the way they carry themselves. Kappas are the type of girls that walk into quiet room and turn it upside down. You to want to follow them around for the rest of the night to see what they do next.   

Phi Mu: “We Can’t Stop” – Miley Cyrus                                          

At the beginning of Miley’s twerk phase, we all remember a 'little bit' of craziness, a fiercely independent image, super addicting tunes, and catchy lyrics that never quite left your head. While Phi Mus are only occasionally the 'twerking' type, Phi Mus capture the essence of the 'New Miley' in the best way possible. Unpredictable and insanely funny, they radiate total quirkiness. Whether you find yourself lucky enough to be set up on a Phi Mu date night, or with another gal-pal to help fix your make-up in a fraternity bathroom, I advise you prepare to laugh like you never have before. They won’t stop being themselves, and we don’t want them to.    

Pi Beta Phi: “Halo” – Beyoncé                                                         

First: Puns. Second: The Pi Phis really do wear a “Halo.” Always sweet and helpful, the Pi Phis absolutely deserve the idolization of Beyoncé. They are the type of girls that will make anyone feel happier just by being in their company. No matter what, Pi Phi's are the type of  girls’ that won't let their halos fade away.   

Sigma Delta Tau: “Partition” – Beyoncé                                            

When I think of SDT, I think of their Greek Grind contest. And when I think of singers who can dance, I (obviously) think of Beyoncé. Her song “Partition” perfectly captures her sultry, dance diva side. Edgy and completely fresh, SDT's are unique and true to themselves to say the least. Typically in charge of running the show, SDT's are super involved in their sorority's philanthropy and are proud of it! Adopting the "Sasha Fierce" persona, this side of Beyoncé and the SDTs are equally so fierce.  Either way, whether it's Beyonce or a troop of SDT's, you better step back when either of them enter a room or get on the dance floor.    

Sigma Kappa: “Team” – Lorde                                                          

Lorde is so cool that Taylor Swift regularly Instagrams pictures of them together to flaunt their friendship. Sigma Kappas are the girls that you want people to know that you know them. “Team” captures their natural attitude and reminds us all that they are the ones who run things around here. It's hard to find a girl on campus that doesn't have a best friend that's a Sigma Kappa. Considered to be a well rounded and talented, Sigma Kappas are "always on each other's team". Grounded and classy beyond belief, Sigma Kappas are fantaStiK. 

Zeta Tau Alpha: “All-American Girl” – Carrie Underwood        

Carrie Underwood is like the princess of country music and that fits perfectly with the ZTAs. Always charming, bubbly, and sweet, they are the “All-American Girl,” sung about in this classic. Just like all of the girls portrayed in the music video, the ZTA girls know how to perfectly blend and master any role that they take. Cute and always upbeat, if you're lucky enough to hang out with the Zeta's, they will quickly become the "center of your world".  Zeta's are truly some of the sweetest souls you'll ever encounter. 

^Collaboration Article by Danielle Weiner and Sydney Wilkins