You Know You've Found Your Best Friends When...

1
Mallory Budesa

The first week of college and rush, is the most exciting, yet terrifying time. Meeting hundreds of people a day can be overwhelming, but it’s worth it once you find your niche. College friends are special, because they really aren’t just friends- they’re your family.

For nine months, all you have is each other, which is quite alright if you surround yourself with the right people. However, as a result of spending so much time together, these relationships can get pretty weird. It is not until you look back on some of the things you did for each other that you realize you should probably have your own reality show, because this stuff is pretty entertaining. That is how you know you've found your best friends. 

You take care of each other when sickness happens

We’ve all been there. Whether it’s six in the morning or in the middle of class, sometimes you need someone to walk with you to Student Health just to make sure you don’t drop dead or fall off your bike on the way. Even if that means walking you across the entire campus while you are in your pajamas and throwing up into a trick-or-treat pumpkin. Bonus points if they give you their notes. Extra bonus points if they personally deliver DayQuil/Nyquil and tissues. 

You accidentally match all the time and it’s mortifying 

“I can’t believe you. Look at us. Just look at us. I hate us. No, I love us. But I hate us.” 

“Do I have to brush my teeth?”

Weekend brunches are a mess. Occasionally, you can only manage to get to the dining hall, let alone change or cover all of your basic steps of hygiene first. That is usually okay, because you can count on your friends to be in just as bad shape as you are.  

You have a name for yourselves.

What could have started out as a joke just between you guys or maybe a joke between other people, has stuck. Good, bad, funny, true, false- it’s a part of you now and you have learned to wear it proudly.  

You never have to be alone.

Stranded on the street at eight in the morning? Don’t want to go to In-n-Out by yourself? Need someone to force you out of bed to get your meningitis vaccine? Want someone to watch reruns of Pretty Little Liars and Gossip Girl with? That's what we're here for. 

You can’t get rid of one another even if you tried.

Even when you want to rip one another’s hair out, you know that at the end of the day you would not know what to do without each other. 

You know each other's quirks and you love them.

Whether it be Game of Thrones, country music, or shopping, each one of you has something you are truly obsessed with. We will all listen, or politely pretend to listen, to whatever it is you would like to say about it, because we know it makes you happy.   

You will not be judged when we look over at you in lecture and see you on BuzzFeed.

We get it and we’re probably on BuzzFeed too. What princess did you get? Yes, you can see my notes.  

What’s theirs is yours and what’s yours is theirs. 

You know each other’s closets better than your own. You very rarely wear an outfit out that is 100% yours. In fact, they even send you Snapchats while they're at the store so you can give insight on the clothes you will definitely be borrowing. 

They don’t ask, “You’re wearing those?” 

When you walk out in your UGG slippers to go to dinner, they never question your judgement because they are most likely wearing the same pair. The right time to wear UGG slippers to the dining hall is all the time. It's a matter of self respect.  

Their room is your room.

Their roommates have grown used to walking into their own room to find you in there alone. You're knocked out in bed or rummaging through the closet looking for an outfit. It is such a regular occurence that you don’t even have to apologize anymore.  

“I Insta’d!”  

Like, comment, retweet, favorite, share. Done, done and done, all within the same minute you posted. What’s that a picture of? Doesn’t matter. Because that’s love.  

You know the names and stories of all their past, present, and hopeful love interests.

You also have nicknames. You text each other freaking out whenever one of you has any type of encounter with any of them.  

You have tons of stuff missing, but you don’t worry because you know one of them has it. 

“Who has my white top? Anyone? No the white one... yeah with the sleeves... no, not those sleeves... yeah... no... oh yeah! That’s the one! I’m coming to get it!”  

Getting ready for the night is a group effort.

You curl my hair and I'll help you with your eyeliner, deal? Deal!

“Was it really that bad?” 

You see each other at your best and you see each other at your worst. Whether it be a difficult walk home on the weekend, a long trip to the bathroom during a party, or just ugly crying through The Notebook, we have seen it all. We probably even have pictures of it. But they’re safe with us. Until the PicStitch we will make for your birthday. 

We will smuggle any food out of the dining hall for you.

Forgot your access card? Ran out of swipes? Can't pull yourself away from Gossip Girl? What do you want, pizza?