Darling, I'm going home

Darling, I'm going home

6

5 thoughts you have when you come home for the summer.

Let’s face it. The transition from high school to college had its challenges. Who says that the transition back home after a year in college is any easier? The return back home from your first of year of college seemed so easy until you drive past the sign of your hometown...At that moment you realize that college completely differs from the life at home and its time to adjust. Here are some thoughts on how you get used to it.

1.  How do I breakup with my parents?  

Asking to borrow the car or to stay pass curfew seems like a foreign concept. For the past year, you have gone and go as you please without the approval of anybody else. Wanted tacos at two in the morning? No one stopped you. But once you come back home, say hello to rules and standard check-ins with the parental units. 

2.This summer is going to be so productive 

Boom. The car door shuts as you arrive home and suddenly all the possibilities fill the summer crisp air. You dream of the new job, a summer time romance, and the time with friends.  And the thought of spending countless hours watching Netflix seems like a far-stretched idea. 

3. How did I compile all this stuff in one school year? 

Shirts. Crafts. Books. You unload the boxes from the car and place them in your room to soon realize that this is way more than you left with. How is this possible you ask? Well, think of it as a compilation of year filled with memories. Embrace it. 

4. I’ve changed

It’s been a year since you graduated high school and you have just successfully completed an entire year of college. Independence has made you the young adult you are today. As a potential college sophomore you can’t wait to show the new you to all your old friends. 

5. This summer is all about self-improvement

These four months signify a time for working on you. Lose the mythical “Freshman 15.” Start being cleaner. Learn yoga to help with stress relief. Whatever it is, it’s all about developing the better you.   Personally, as I got off the car from the long drive back home for college all these thoughts tricked in my mind. I continued to debate if my choice of coming back home was the right one. However, making the adjustment back home was worth the simple moments of playing hockey with my brothers or river rafting with some friends.

So yes, I could have studied abroad or stayed for summer school but if I did I would have missed out on all these beautiful memories. At that moment, I remember that I have the rest of my life to explore the world. Although you might find it difficult to adjust being back home, just remember in a quick four months you’ll be back in your independent state. Ready to tackle a new school year with hopes of many more memories. Remind yourself why you chose home as the summer spot and embrace your decision!