14 Unique Places Off The Beaten Path In Boston

The City of Champions has more to offer than just world-renowned sports teams and Tom Brady.

164
Flickr

Boston is the best city in the world and everyone knows that — so when you’re on your next trip into the city of champions but don’t want to look like a tourist, try these places out.

Mike's Pastry

Located in the heart of the North End, everyone says this shop is always busy but moves quickly. This is because of the very Italian ladies who are ready to snap at you if you don’t know what you want to order within the first two seconds of walking in.

Brattle Books

The best spot for artsy pictures that are guaranteed to get you at least 15 likes on Instagram. Plus the books are actually really cool and if you look hard enough, you might be able to find a first edition Hawthorne or Thoreau. And if you’re from a small historical town you can peruse the local history books that date back to the 1700s to try and find your town.

Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market Place

I don’t care what any local townie says, Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market Place are great places to go even if you’re not a tourist. There’s tons of food inside and, even more, shops outside. And it’s just a good place to go and sit and think about life and Tom Brady.

The Aquarium

With attractions so interactive my mom once thought a penguin was climbing a ladder out of its enclosure, it’s a great place for all ages. As you walk the giant four-story spiraling walkway it parallels an equally giant ocean tank so affectionately named, Giant Ocean Tank. Try and spot eels, sharks, and Murtle the Turtle as you make your way to the Yawkey Coral Reef Center at the top. And if you don’t want to pay to get in, you can always watch the harbor seals outside in front of the entrance.

Christian Science Center

You don’t have to be any type of religion to marvel at the architecture inside and outside of this historic building. The reflection pool outside gives way to an amazing view of the Pru and surrounding buildings. It boasts a children’s fountain anyone (but they suggest children) can splash around in. Located in the Back Bay, it’s just a few T stops from Fenway.

Boston Public Market

Brand new to the city, right downtown and just outside the North End, this indoor, year round market can be best described as a city farmers market. You have your local business but not just Ma and Pop farms. Over 38 vendors sell produce like ice cream, fish, sandwiches, varieties of meat and chocolate (though not together), honey, coffee, and freshly picked apples, even in the dead of winter. Plus it’s about equidistant from the Garden and Faneuil Hall.

The Harbor

The 34 islands in and around Boston Harbor give way to historic lighthouses, hiking through wildlife, learning about Boston’s vast history, and relaxing on beaches. But by far the best thing the Harbor has to offer is Codzilla. Now, I know other waterfront cities have something like this but let me tell you, I went on a Codzilla in Baltimore and, after Boston’s Codzilla, it was disappointing, to say the least. Speeding around the harbor at upwards of 40 miles per hour, the premise is that there is a huge monster in the harbor and the boat turns and races away whenever the crew senses Codzilla’s presence. You will get wet on this but quickly dry off thanks to the winds whipping around you. You can always take a normal cruise around the harbor but that’s so boring you might just fling yourself into the water and swim to the Codzilla boat. Plus it plays great music.

Fenway

One of the Seven Wonders of the World, Fenway Park is the definition of Boston; it’s historical, it’s beloved, it’s expensive as hell, and it’s full of champions. It doesn’t matter if it’s your first game or your 30th, Fenway is always an experience. You might have to save up for a Fenway Frank but walking around the park, spotting Ted William’s red seat and Johnny Pesky’s pole, is worth it. Don’t be afraid to go to a Sox game if you’re a tourist, everyone deserves to go to Fenway. Wear those pink hats and fight the patriarchy. And always root for the Red Sox.

Museum of Science

This is the coolest thing to do even if you’re not a little kid on a middle school field trip. There are so many interactive things to explore with multiple levels, a 3D IMAX theater, and (if they’re still there) the music staircase I could spend hours on. It's located right on the Charles within spitting distance of the Zakim Bridge. You’ll have to time it right and go during an off day or else you’ll have swarms of sixth graders clambering over you in order to get to the rope swing in the Science in the Park exhibit.

Commons/Public Gardens

Beautiful and photogenic in any weather, there is so much to see and explore in this garden right in the middle of the city. Find the “Make Way for Ducklings” statues (depending on the season, Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, Quack, and Mrs. Mallard could be dressing B’s or Sox gear), skate on the Frog Pond, watch New Year’s Eve fireworks on the snow covered lawn, take a swan boat around the pond, or just relax on a grassy hill. Bonus points if you find the bench Robin Williams and the Boston darling Matt Damon sat on during the "Good Will Hunting."

BPL

This might be a public library you can check books out of but really there's so much more to this building. Some of the rooms on the multiple levels are so beautiful you'll forget that you're in a library. Plus it’s free. What more can I say. It’s also deceivingly huge and actually quite magnificent. You could spend a whole day there just perusing the paintings and architecture and, of course, the books.

Bunker Hill

Everyone knows that the battle was actually fought on Breed's Hill, where the monument is, but no one has been keen on telling the history books that. It looks just like the Washington Monument but it's smaller and there's no elevator to the top. I must confess I've never been inside of it because it's so claustrophobic.

Newbury Street

The most expensive street in Boston, it does have a ton of shops, some of which may fit smaller budgets. Do you ever wonder why Newbury Comics is called that? Because it started on Newbury Street where the original store still stands. Urban Outfitters, a three-story Forever 21, H&M, and Alex and Ani are a few of the many shops on this long street. Plus the street itself looks amazing and vintage Boston so there’s another Instagram spot for you.

Top of the Hub

I don’t know anyone who dines here regularly but the view itself is worth the price. No, actually that’s probably not right, you can definitely find a parking garage or something to get an equally amazing view of the city (I recommend the Northeastern garage by the Ruggles T stop). But regardless, this is a really great view of the city.