7 Best Coffee Shops Near Toledo

7 Best Coffee Shops Near Toledo

A coffee nerd's paradise.

597
7 Best Coffee Shops Near Toledo
Google

For a couple of years now, I have been visiting various coffee shops in and around the city of Toledo, Ohio. I find great pleasure in seeking out new coffee experiences. Every place has its own personality as well as its own specialties. I have listed seven of the best coffee shops in order, number one being the greatest. If you are used to drinking sugary coffee with lots of creamer, that is not something you will find in any of these coffee shops.

1. Flatlands Coffee: Bowling Green, OH

One word to describe Flatlands: simple. In some coffee shops you see distracting bright colors, vibrant walls full of artwork, counters unnecessarily cluttered. Flatlands is quite the opposite, and I find it very appealing. The flowers on the coffee bar are the shop’s only decor, smooth wood and brick accent the floor, tables, and walls. The coffee they are currently using, Counter Culture Coffee, is the number one roaster in America. They also use Actual Coffee, a local roastery. I will warn you, they only have coffee. If you want to stop at a coffee shop on your lunch break for a sandwich, then this is not your place. If you are interested in great coffee and always seeking new places to try, then I absolutely recommended going. Even the most serious coffee critic will not leave here disatisfied. One cannot deny the exquisiteness in the fruitful undertones of Counter Culture Coffee or their sweet, creamy Cortados. The milk they use is unique in itself; it is fat-free and unpasteurised, sweeter than your average processed milk. This place receives a 10/10 for both atmosphere and great coffee.

2. Comet Coffee: Ann Arbor, MI

This hipster coffee shop is an absolute must if you find yourself in the city of Ann Arbor, only an hour away from Toledo. The entire place is set up to encourage conversation among people; they have small tables in the dining area, the conservation tables, where laptops are not allowed. The bar area, overlooking a small alley off of State Street, is where the outlets are and where most students study. Their baristas are very knowledgeable and know what they are doing, and all of their coffee is made fresh at their pour over station. On the down side, this is not a place to go with a group of friends. It is quite small, seating approximately sixteen people. But for a one on one date, it is the perfect location, and a guaranteed great cup of coffee!

3.The Flying Joe: Perrysburg, OH

If you find yourself shopping in Levis Commons, this a very chill, quiet coffee shop to stop and relax in. You will find many students studying there as well as many business meetings. Most of their coffee is brewed fresh, pour over style and as of recently they've begun serving a cold brew carbonated coffee called Nitro coffee. I was not a fan of it; bubbly coffee is not my drink of choice. They serve fresh Toledough donuts Thursday through Sunday; they are a bit on the expensive side, $2.50 per donut, but an absolute must. The best seller is the maple bacon donut which is served every week, but the other flavors and unique combinations differ from week to week. This place has great coffee as well as a great atmosphere for studying and dining with friends.

4. Plate 21: Toledo, OH

The baristas at Plate 21 are extremely well-versed and energetic, and they strive to give you a coffee experience that will make you want to come back. The relaxing atmosphere and overall ambiance of the coffee shop makes it a great place to go with friends. They have lots of tables and space, as long as you don’t mind a little noise! Every time I have been there, they have been very busy with business.They have Madcap Coffee, the third best roaster in the United States, as well as Actual Coffee, a local roaster in Toledo. Not only is their coffee great, but their food as well. If you happen to be vegetarian or vegan, they have plenty of options for you. If you are not a coffee drinker, they have blended drinks, smoothies, and tea. Like I said, it can be very loud and busy, and you may struggle to find a parking spot, but it is definitely worth it. Recently they had Toledo Opera perform, and you can always check for their various upcoming events.

5. The Ugly Mug: Ypsilanti, MI

If you are looking for a hipster dining experience with plenty of grungy college students, this is place is for you! On a serious note (though I was already serious), the baristas are incredibly skilled. I had the best Americano of my coffee drinking life there, and they even roast their own coffee beans in house, which is hard to come across. They do events such as Cupping and a Movie, which is a coffee tasting event, and for the holiday season, they did a holiday tip drive where all proceeds went to Safe House Center. The overall place is a bit dark with somewhat awkward seating and the parking lot is extremely small, so you may have to park on the street. Their cold brew coffee comes served in nice glass bottles which adds to the experience. It is a bit far from Toledo, slightly past Ann Arbor, but a great place to hang out with friends and relax!

6. Bleak House: Toledo, OH

First of all, Bleak House has amazing homemade soups, traditionally vegan. It is a very cosy spot in Downtown Toledo to grab a cup of coffee or relax with a friend for lunch. If you are creative, they encourage you write on their chalk wall (I took advantage of the opportunity). They have various events held worthy of checking out, recently they hosted a poetry night. If you go on a weekend, you must consider getting their waffles. They have served a mashed potato waffle topped with an avocado basil sauce, and their most recent creation was a raspberry chocolate chip waffle with fresh raspberries on top. The waffle flavors vary every weekend, only served Saturday and Sunday from 9-2! Bleak House, like The Flying Joe, also serves hand crafted Holey Toledough donuts Thursday thru Sunday. You will have to pay for parking downtown, and usually there is only one barista working, but it is worth your time and money.

7. Black Kite: Toledo, OH

Although I have never been impressed with their coffee, I absolutely recommend Black Kite’s food. I have tried their both their veggie pie and bagel balls, both of which were delicious. They serve Holey Toledough donuts Thursday thru Sunday. Holey Toledough Donuts are undeniably great, only served on weekends, and when they run out...they are out! The donuts are made fresh daily. If you do find yourself there on a weekend morning, prepare for it to be busy with possibly scarce seating. It is located in the Old West End of Toledo, not far from The University of Toledo. I have been there at both lunch and dinner time to study and it was pleasantly quiet both times.