Why Reading For Pleasure Needs To Make A Comeback

There are some things you just can't get from a TV show or movie.

20
Old Curiosity Book Shop, Columbia TN

One of my favorite childhood memories is weekly trips to the library. I can honestly say that the library in my town was one of my favorite places to be for many, many years. As a child I could hardly ever put books down—one time my parents grounded me from reading as punishment for disobeying them (just kidding, I was a perfect child LOL).

I was constantly reading, my mom and sister were constantly reading, and many of my friends were the same way. We’d all gush about the latest Harry Potter installment, or cry over the Series of Unfortunate Events books. Bottom line: reading for pleasure was a huge part of my life, and everyone did it. It was so rare to hear a child say, “I hate reading.”

Unfortunately, I’m becoming increasingly aware that the most recent generation of children isn’t reading as much as my own generation did. Recently I was told that my niece does not like to read and I was shocked. She’s incredibly smart and literate, and my sister is constantly reading, so I couldn’t figure it out. After asking around, I found that this is a common problem for kids these days; it seems like no one wants to read anymore, and it absolutely blew my mind to hear this. I can’t imagine not liking to read, especially during elementary school.

It finally hit me that electronics are the culprit here. Kids have fast internet access and a wide range of tablet games. Of course none of them want to sit down and read a book. Why would they when they could spend that time playing on a tablet or even watching TV? I’ve also noticed more and more adults trading in lengthy novels for Netflix and the like. These habits are being transferred to our kids, and I firmly believe that it is causing the decline of reading for pleasure. Don’t get me wrong, our technological advancements are incredibly useful and I myself enjoy a good Netflix-binge, but does that mean we have to give up the world of paperbacks and book stores? No, it doesn’t.

So why should anyone pick up a book instead of a remote? For starters, reading, whether fiction or nonfiction, is linked to developing analytical thinking, reducing stress, boosting vocabulary, and so much more. This is why reading for pleasure needs to make a comeback. Not only is it entertaining, but it helps your mind and body in ways that video games and television cannot. There are no words to describe the sheer joy of finishing a book after falling in love with the characters and world that the author created. You simply cannot get that experience from a game or TV show.

Reading for pleasure is one of the greatest things anyone can do. I for one think that everyone should take some time out of each week to enjoy a good book and escape their realities for awhile. Libraries and book clubs need to make a major comeback. Honestly, what’s the worst that can happen?