The California Stereotypes Debunked

The California Stereotypes Debunked

I am sorry if I ruined your American dream of moving to the Golden State.

176
The California Stereotypes Debunked
WallpaperSafari

Just like about every other TCU student on campus, I am from California. To make matters even worse, I am from Orange County. Let me just give you some insight into what EVERY single introduction for us SoCal kids is like. It typically begins like this:

“Where are you from?”

“California.”

“Where in California?”

“Southern California.”

“Oh no way! Just like the TV show Laguna Hills or The OC?”

NO. NOT LIKE THE TELEVISON SHOWS.

We are nothing like the shows. Our lives are not nearly as glamorous or exciting as theirs. On the weekends, I am lucky if I can get pants on long enough to make the long walk to the fridge. I mean as much as I wish I had a chauffeur drive me around in a Land Rover Sport V8 while I sip a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks, that isn’t going to happen. So, I thought it was about time to clear the air on everyone’s stereotypes of Californians.

#1: Everyone in California goes to the beach every day.

As much as I wish I could say this is true, it is not. I personally only go to the beach about four or five times a summer. Don’t get me wrong. The weather is nice enough to go year round, if that’s what you want to do. I would just much rather lay in bed. And when the weather is just too nice, I move to the couch.

#2: All Californians are vegan hippies.

Sorry to disappoint again, but this is not even close to true. I cannot begin to tell you all about how much I love my meat. I almost take daily trips to my local In-N-Out (which I might add is so much better than Whataburger) for a nice big double-double with animal-style fries (french fries smothered in chili cheese and onions). But for the hippie clothing, that is almost a half-truth. Many girls walk around in old school, rock band t-shirts, but I can guarantee you that they do not know a single song by the band whose name blazes across their chests. I can describe the stereotypical Brandy Melville outfit that every cliché white girl owns -- a high-waisted wine color skirt, a baggy, black t-shirt with a giant sunflower on it with the sleeves cut off, a giant woven sweater, and of course the combat boots. Hand that girl a Starbucks cup, and you have every single teenage girl in Orange County.

#3: Everyone is just so…. Californian (Vans, tans, and dresses).

Okay, I will give ya’ll that one. Nearly everyone wears vans or Rainbow flip-flops everywhere. You wouldn’t dare think about running shoes unless you were working out or wanted to commit social suicide. Oh, were you thinking about going to school without makeup on? No, I’m sorry. You can’t do that. You can’t even think about doing that. Everyone feels the need to dress up every single day to go to school. I find it humorous that the clothes I typically wore to high school are now my “going out” outfits and my old going out outfits are now collecting dust in storage.

I am sorry if I ruined your American dream of moving to the Golden State and living the high life, but it is probably better if you hear all of this from a friend. So, don’t worry. I got your back. Hopefully, now you realize California isn’t as cool as you thought it would be, and the true popping party is right here at Texas Christian University!