Guys: The First Date 101

Guys: The First Date 101

115
Guys: The First Date 101
www.deathandtaxesmag.com

You finally grew some and asked the special girl on your first date, and believe me there are plenty of ways to screw it up (I've heard some rough stories). But get a pen, take some notes, because the first date is just beginning. Here is your guide to killin' it on your night out. 

1. 5 Words- KEEP IT SIMPLE. BE YOURSELF.

2. THE DATE SHOULD REFLECT YOUR PERSONALITY- The date should honestly mirror you. If you are a low-key guy, then keep the date low-key. If you are classy, then take her out to a fancy dinner. If you like the outdoors, go hiking. There is no set formula for a date, but it should speak about you. Just give her a heads up on the attire (surprises are better anyways). Where you go, what you do, the questions and your responses all reflect your personality. It goes back to #1, be yourself.

3. IF YOU TAKE HER TO THE MOVIES, JUST GO HOME- You automatically just failed. The movies might be the worst possible first date. A first date should be about getting to know someone, their interests, their past, and future. YOU CAN'T TALK IN A MOVIE. Although a classic date idea, we aren't in middle school anymore- find something else you both will enjoy, but quality conversation and food (girls love food) are a must.

4. DON'T GET AHEAD OF YOURSELF- It's the first date. You shouldn't get wrapped up in what could happen in the future and overcomplicate the situation. By knowing this, you prevent yourself from thinking that it is something more than just the first date. Focus on that moment, and rest will take care itself. This also applies to being really physically forward with a person. It is date number one. You don't even need to have the first kiss on the first date. Again, back to #1- keep it simple and don't get caught up in the situation. 

5. BE FLEXIBLE- More often than not, things don't go as planned. It happens. But it shows a lot about you that you can roll with the punches. If she doesn't like where you want to go to dinner, think of another place. Come into the date with a plan, a very simple plan, but keep a small backup plan in line and be flexible in altering the date as you learn more about her.

6. EMBARRASS YOURSELF- It is more than acceptable to embarrass yourself. If you can't laugh and make fun of yourself, then it's going to be rough. It is so fun when you aren't afraid of being too cool or yourself to just let go. Rap your favorite jam when it comes on the radio. Go dance if you love to dance and if you end up tripping or things go wrong, just go with it.  Laugh about it, and if there is a second date, you will have something to joke about. You make your own memories, and embarrassing yourself is one the greatest ways to do it. 

7. BE ORIGINAL- You only get one first date. Make it special. Come up with an idea that is going to make it memorable. It goes back to high school with asking girls to Prom with awesome ideas- flash mobs, raps, or horribly singing a remixed version of All Star in front of the entire 100 person choir. Obviously those took a lot of thought and time, but make it a unique night. There so many different ways to do so without spending a ton of money. On Greatist, there is a link to 30 brilliant date ideas for under $30. Just by adding a theme or doing something off the beaten track (dancing or a picnic or photography theme), it makes the night that much more fun.

8. PROVE CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD- You should be cleaned up, look above average, and throughout the date prove that you were raised correctly. This means demonstrating manners at all times, opening doors for her and others, waiting to eat if you are served first, no burping, etc. This can make or break a date because it speaks a lot about character and manhood. Remember, a true man is always chivalrous. 

9. YOU DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO PAY- This may shock you that you don't have to pay, which for most is the defining line between going out as friends or a date. In present day, while it is a nice gesture to pay for the girl, women today are very independent. Some don't like to have others take care of them by buying them dinner. Obviously reach for the check, and argue with her to pay, but if she is insistent on paying for herself, let her. You show you respect her independence, and just say you've got the next one. A date is not defined by whether a guy pays, it's about spending good quality time with a person with whom you grow more compatible.

10. HAVE FUN- Dating should be a blast to go out and meet someone. It is your chance to really get to know someone in a personal setting.

These are just some of the many thoughts and pointers for the guys going into the fall. Follow this advice and who knows, it might just be your last first date.