Donald Trump And Mosque Surveillance

Donald Trump And Mosque Surveillance

"If that's okay."

2
Donald Trump And Mosque Surveillance
ABC News

It's no secret that Republican candidate Donald Trump has some very strong opinions about the actions that should be taken against illegal immigrants.

Due to the recent terrorist scares, this Republican front-runner has suggested that certain Islamic houses of worship should be monitored. The mosques that would be chosen to be put under surveillance would be based on the possibility of posing any kind of terrorist threat.

At a rally in Birmingham, Alabama, Trump told the crowd, "I want surveillance of certain mosques, if that's okay." He followed that statement with the fact that we've monitored houses of worship before.

What this Republican candidate was referring to was a program made by the New York Police Department after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. The CIA helped the NYPD make this team so they could monitor Muslim communities, as well as identify places where blending in would be easy for a potential terrorist. This program remained active until January 2014, when police commissioner William J. Bratton shut it down. This program ended having two federal lawsuits and it didn't find a single case to pursue.

During his recent speeches about ways to deal with terrorist threats in the future, Trump has also mentioned shutting down mosques in the United States. During an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," he said, "I would hate to do it, but it's something you're going to have to strongly consider, because some of the ideas and some of the hatred is coming from these areas." He believes that this would be a reasonable action to take if mosques were radicalizing their members.

Donald Trump has also recently been involved in a controversy regarding his Muslim "database" remarks. He denied and defended his comments, making the statement that if a database were to be made, it should be of the Syrian refugees coming into the United States. He claims that if he were to win the election, he will send all of the refugees back to where they came from.

The people of America are well aware that this front running Republican candidate has both supporters and adversaries. Although he brings strong points to the table, there are some kinks to his tough way of wanting to take charge of our country's safety.

Yes, it is true that we have had surveillance of Muslims in our country before. The program that was used was not very successful in its goal of finding possible terrorists, only because they went to the extreme. Not only did they monitor the communities, but they documented all daily activities of the people while undercover. All of this caused a conflict between law enforcement and the Muslim community, and also including many civil rights groups.

Shutting down mosques in the United States would only cause a discrimination dispute across the globe. A reasonable explanation for shutting down a mosque would be if there have been factual and documented terrorist threats from that specific mosque.

The question is, if mosques are to be monitored, shouldn't other houses of worship be monitored as well? Muslims are not the only group of people that can pose a threat to our country.

GOP candidate Donald Trump talks the talk, and claims that he can walk the walk. Will America and the rest of the world finally see him make the right talk and take the right walk?