Class by Day, Clubs by Night: Tips for studying abroad in Paris

104
Cheyenne De'Von

From attending class in a café to reading by the Eiffel Tower, where else but Paris? 

My summer abroad in Paris has changed me in more ways than I could have imagined and I’ve learned a lot along the way. Studying abroad is an amazing and unique experience that will benefit you for the rest of your life and I encourage anyone who can to take advantage of the opportunity! Here are some tips for studying abroad in Paris as well as anywhere in the world:

Prepare for the journey :

However you choose to get where you’re going, you’re going to need something to keep you occupied. Books, magazines, music, games, Sudoku anything that can hold your attention and distract you from the wailing infant in seat 24B. Often on international flights you can choose from an array of in flight movies ranging from Disney classics like The Little Mermaid to musicals like Chicago. Even though you’ll be able to use your phone for the majority of the flight, remember that in-flight Wi-Fi is going to cost you. Make sure that any music or gaming app works just as well offline. When you land, have your passport protected but easily accessible and get ready for the experience of a lifetime!     

Don’t be afraid to get lost! : So you’ve arrived at your destination, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to be dazzled. Before going wherever the wind takes you, get adjusted to your surroundings. First and foremost be safe. Try to stay in groups and not venture into seedy areas but don’t be afraid to explore a new city. While in Paris, the group that I was with was looking for a certain restaurant but got a little turned around amidst the winding streets. Did we freak out? Not at all! It was a gorgeous day and we took the time to walk the cobblestone streets, take pictures of the sidewalk cafés, and actually found an even better restaurant than what we were looking for before!    

Learn the language and customs: While getting lost can be fun, it can quickly turn into a nightmare if you can’t communicate. People are much more willing to help and assist you when they see that you’re at least making an effort to learn their language. No matter how ridiculous you may think you sound, locals will be grateful you’re trying and will probably switch to English if they can. One of the differences between French and American cultures is that in France it is considered impolite not to greet the workers when you enter a space. You do not have to have an entire conversation, but a greeting is customary. Whether you are entering a store, bakery, or newsstand, a polite “Bonjour” is guaranteed to get you better service than simply walking in, paying, and leaving without saying a word. “The rude tourist” is the NOT the impression you want to give the waiter who’s serving your food!     

Ask for directions: Unless you have an (expensive) international data plan, you can kiss the days of typing addresses into your phone and receiving easy to follow directions goodbye. Free Wi-Fi is hard to come by in Paris however; locals that can point you in the right direction are not.  This goes back to learning a little of the language. If you can learn how to ask for directions in French, people will more than gladly direct you to where you need to go or tell you which metro stop to go to. If your destination is close enough, they may even walk with you!      

Live like a local : As the saying goes “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”. Instead of eating out every night, try shopping at the open air market and cooking. Indulge in baguettes and croissants hot from the oven with cool, locally grown berries. There are tons of local festivals such as Fête de la Musique. At Fête de la Musique, the city of Paris comes alive with music. At every metro stop there are different genres of music ranging from Caribbean and Jazz to House and Electronica. Bars and restaurants set up speakers that blare music into the streets while local artists perform on stages set up all over the city. This festival is any music lover’s dream! Push beyond the boundaries of the tourist attractions and don’t be afraid to party with the locals!      

Take your studies seriously: Last but certainly not least; study abroad is called study abroad for a reason. Although you’re going to class in an exotic location, you’ve got to remember to go to class. You may want to don a beret and enjoy a crêpe while reading by the Eiffel Tower but don’t choose that over attending class.  However, you also don’t want to be so immersed in your studies that you can’t really enjoy where you are. Balance is key. Set aside time to study and work so that you can really enjoy clubbing in Bastille or shopping on the Champs Elysees.      

Studying abroad is an unparalleled experience that allows you the chance to immerse yourself inside of a new culture and you’ll be surprised by how much you grow in a short amount of time whether you’re traveling to Paris or Dubai. So take a chance and step way outside of your comfort zone! Bon voyage!