Online Dating: Is 'Catfish' The New Normal?

92

There is no doubt that recent technological advancements have changed the way humans interact with one another in the 21st century. Through email, text messages, and social networking sites, we are able to get in touch with people all over the world in a much faster and more efficient manner than in previous years. Since modern technology has become such an integral part of our everyday lives, it is certainly not uncommon for two people to meet and connect with each other via the Internet.

Members of this relatively new subculture of online daters invest a great deal of time and energy into their romantic affairs; unfortunately, however, the controversial subject of online relationships in modern society is frequently misrepresented by the media. Many films and television shows exaggerate the risks associated with online dating, choosing to highlight extreme examples of lies and deception for the sake of creating drama. In doing so, popular culture makes a conscious effort to feature sensationalized stories in order to appeal to a target audience that relies solely on entertainment. Consequently, the truth about Internet dating is not adequately conveyed, which results in the public’s distorted image of such online practices.

The 2010 documentary "Catfish" is a fine example of how the subject of online dating can be misrepresented by the media. The film follows the unusual story of Nev Schulman, a 24 year old photographer who begins an online relationship via Facebook with Megan Faccio, a singer, dancer, and aspiring model. When he finally meets his online girlfriend in real life nearly one year later, however, he is shocked to discover that Megan has deceived him. As it turns out, her real name is Angela Wesselman, and she is a married middle-aged woman with complex psychological issues. By producing this film, directors Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost hoped to raise a certain level of awareness about the dangers and consequences associated with the anonymity of online dating. "Catfish" seems to be warning viewers that since online dating often eliminates the possibility of knowing users’ identities, it may lead to increased expectations and conflict—especially when meeting in person for the first time. In extreme cases, such as rape or murder, online relationships can even put one in a potentially life-threatening situation.

Unsurprisingly, many moviegoers and critics have questioned the authenticity of "Catfish," which has frequently been called a “reality thriller.” Morgan Spurlock, director of the documentary "Super Size Me," has referred to it as the “best fake documentary I've ever seen.” And with its constant plot twists, it is understandable that some would doubt the reality of the events depicted in the film. In an attempt to defend "Catfish," Nev stated in an interview, “I think it has a lot more to do with the style in which it was put together…and me sharing an office with filmmakers.” As implied by this quote, the media tends to alter certain features of a film in order to make it more visually and/or emotionally appealing to its target audience; unfortunately, however, much of its validity may be lost in the process. Since "Catfish" is portrayed as a melodramatic horror movie (whether it be intentional or not), audiences around the world seem to be getting the wrong impression about online dating. They are mistakenly led to believe that those who engage in online dating practices are just as strange, abnormal, and deluded as Angela herself, yet this is certainly not the case. In fact, many studies argue against the prevalence of deception in online dating that is often portrayed by the media.

In 2012, shortly after the release of this intriguing documentary, Nev teamed up with several producers from MTV to create a spin-off reality show that documents the stories of various couples in online relationships as they meet in person for the first time. "Catfish: The TV Show" emphasizes the emotional pain and heartbreak involved in online dating by specifically choosing examples that involve some form of trickery, though it over reports the degree to which this type of scenario occurs. In fact, it seems that the producers of the show purposely choose the “depressive loner types,” who cite insecurities and bullying as the two primary reasons for lying in online relationships, in order to make the show more controversial and dramatic. Thus, "Catfish: The TV Show" has an incredibly narrow focus, choosing to omit daters who are open and honest about their identity.

It is interesting to note that the main subjects of "Catfish: The TV Show" did not video chat with their online lovers before meeting them in person—or at least this is not depicted on the show. In real life, people who meet on the Internet typically get to know each other by communicating via Skype, as live interaction makes them feel more connected both physically and emotionally. On the show, however, this significant aspect is eliminated. It seems that the producers make a conscious effort to air only the most dramatic, over-the-top episodes in order to increase the show’s ratings. Evidently, then, "Catfish: The TV Show" constructs false representations about online dating in that it highlights only the disastrous and unsuccessful cases, in which one person was intentionally deceived by another. In reality, however, these cases are actually very rare. Normal online relationships that work out in the end tend to be boring and uninteresting; as such, they have very little entertainment quality and do not make for “good television.” Unrealistic shows that are blown out of proportion are utterly suspenseful and thrilling, constantly keeping the audience members on their toes. Much like the documentary that preceded it, "Catfish: The TV Show" urges those involved in online affairs to be extremely cautious; thus, it confirms the public’s general feelings of fear and apprehension regarding the subculture of online daters.

Also similarly to the documentary, "Catfish: The TV Show" may not be completely accurate. Since the show is told from the perspective of the “catfishee,” who is apparently unaware of the deceit involved in his or her relationship, it can be argued that "Catfish: The TV Show" is biased. As viewers, we never learn the “catfisher's” side of the story and, after all, are not relationships two-sided? It is clear, then, that by continuing to air this show, MTV, and the media in general, only adds to the popular myth that online dating is “sketchy” and “creepy,” and that the typical online dater cannot be trusted. Shows like "Catfish: The TV Show," which skew toward sensational drama, inevitably result in the reinforcement of the public’s skeptical outlook on those who pursue romantic relationships via the Internet. In reality, however, this subculture of online daters is not nearly as peculiar as the media portrays it to be. By taking rare cases and misrepresenting them as the norm, "Catfish: The TV Show" not only fails to capture the authenticity of online dating but also promotes the negative stereotypes already associated with it.

Clearly, the relatively new method of online dating has gained a great deal of media attention in recent years, as the number of people engaging in this practice is steadily increasing. Though many films and television shows tend to exaggerate and dramatize online dating, none seems to fully convey the reality of it. As a result, our perception of online relationships remains horribly skewed. Evidently, Hollywood still has a long way to go before producing something that accurately represents this highly controversial subject. Until then, we can only hope and pray that the media’s strong influence over public opinion does not go unrecognized; that way we can ultimately look past the misconceptions typically associated with online dating practices.