Anti-Abortion Activist Indicted For Fake Planned Parenthood Videos Rejects Plea Deal

22
Her Campus

In 2015, an anti-abortion group sparked outrage and controversy when it released a video that appeared to show Planned Parenthood officials trying to sell fetal tissue recovered from abortions. Planned Parenthood denied the claims, saying they never make a profit off the fetal tissue and only donate it for scientific research, which is legal, and done with the consent of the patients. Numerous investigations were launched and they found the charges against Planned Parenthood to be erroneous, but the damage had already been done.

Republicans and anti-choicers, alike, used the video to advocate for the defunding of Planned Parenthood, despite the video being discredited. Presidential candidate, Carly Fiorina, even cited part of the video in a debate when she argued for Planned Parenthood to stop receiving federal funding. The GOP didn't let something as silly as the videos being fake stand in the way of making a woman's right to choose illegal.

Fortunately, some sensibly minded people were tasked with investigating the reproductive health organization. Late last month, a grand jury in Texas cleared Planned Parenthood of any criminal activity regarding the sale of human organs. The vindication for the wrongfully targeted organization didn't stop there, though. After clearing Planned Parenthood, the grand jury indicted two anti-abortion activists behind the bogus videos.

David Daleiden, 27, and Sandra Merritt, 62, who were involved in the making of the fraudulent videos intended to spark the defunding of the organization, were both charged with tampering with a governmental record, a felony. Daledien, the leader of the anti-choice group, Center for Medical Progress, was also indicted on a charge related to the purchase and sale of human organs, a misdemeanor. The felony charge is punishable by up to twenty years in prison while the misdemeanor is punishable by up to one. Both Daleiden and Merritt surrendered last week.

Daleiden was offered a plea deal, a form of probation that would keep him out of prison, keep him from having to potentially give up the next 18 plus years of his life. He chose to reject that deal, a choice that is his right, and one that allows him to do what he thinks is best for himself at this point in his life. Unfortunately, what he thinks is best is to go to trial and use the media circus it will create to attack Planned Parenthood. Maybe before he turns his trial into a campaign for martyrdom, à la Kim Davis, he should imagine what his life would be like if he was forced into taking the plea deal, if his right to choose was taken away.