A Guide to being a Non-traditional Student

For commuters, working students, and returning students

198
Samantha Ard

I breathe in the proliferating realm of non-traditional students.

I commuted to a Community College while working full time. After receiving my associates degree, I transferred to a four-year institution, but soon withdrew. I then took a year off to work and travel, finally returning to a different four-year institution to commute and occasionally work.

As a non-traditional student myself, I have compiled a list of components that relate to this unique educational path.

1. Community College Students

13th grade? Not really. Life is what you make of it. Community College is in no way easy, but you have the chance to befriend other hard working students, learn proper time management skills, and most importantly, save yourself from the grasps of colossal student debt.

Partying and expanding your social life may be a little difficult because lets face it; the nightlife is almost non-existent while attending community college. However, your time will come when you transfer to a 4-year institution and can do all the keg stands your heart desries.

You can always visit a friend and enjoy all the benefits of a 4-year college, without actually paying the astronomical tuition rates. When it comes down to it though, college is not all about partying - it's about education. You have your whole life to have fun, meet new people, and go on fun adventures.

2. Commuter Students

I dreaded my 45-minute commute years ago during my days at GCC (now RCGC) and I still reap the consequences of living off campus. So make friends with students on campus, get involved, and remember all the money you are saving.

If you are a dual commuter and community college student, remind yourself that this situation is not permanent. Besides, commuting to school prepares you for your professional life and 5 o’clock rush hour. You are way ahead of the game.

3. Working Students

I will never forget 12-hour days with back-to-back work and school, 5 a.m. weekend shifts, balancing 35-hour workweeks and six classes altogether. Your hard work will one day pay off; I promise you. Plus, being independent and self-sufficient builds character.

As a hard working student, take pride in your accomplishments and weaning off of your parents. Welcome to the adult world.

4. Transfer Students

As a student that has transferred between 3 colleges, you will unfortunately schedule classes well after everyone else has scheduled theirs- including freshman. What's left are classes like Sewing 101. Try not to be discouraged though, and do your best to sift through the remaining courses to find something that interests you. On the bright side you could sew a nice scarf for the winter.

You may also have to take required classes for your major that are comprised of mainly freshman and struggling upper class-men. Makes you feel like a freshman again, which is completely natural for a transfer. Ask them about that Natty Light in their bag from last nights pledge night. Communication is key when you are a transfer student.

Adapting to a 4-year college can be a challenge. Other transfer students contribute little to no help because they are just as lost as you are. Embrace positivity, you are in a new place, so enjoy all that it has to offer. Including that sewing class.

5. Returning Students

My personal return to college was one of the most challenging feats in my life by far. After taking time off after high school or between semesters, going back to school is a real challenge. Above all, stay confident in your decision to return and get that degree!

Yes, you have been out of the grind, but do not be afraid to ask for help , no matter how foreign taking notes, studying, or following APA format are to you. Professors have office hours and the majority of students are willing to pass on their words of wisdom. There's always Google, too.

Being a non-traditional student presents a challenge, but it's nothing you cannot handle. I believe in you! Whether you are traditional or non-traditional student however, we all have one thing in common. We are constantly broke, and will be until our loans are paid off at the ripe age of 85.

Grab a Keystone Light, stock up on Cup O’ Noodles and enjoy college! Make friends with both traditional and non-traditional students, and bond over your experiences - all the while creating new ones.

**My experiences in no way limit the definition of a non-traditional student. Further characterizations of this term may include, but are not limited to, students who have children, are single parents, are financially independent, go to school part-time, are over the age of 24 and/or take courses online**