An Intimate Conversation With Christian McCaffrey

A small conversation with a big talent

119

When people think of the Big Game, they typically think of the history of the rivalry, the sensation of thrill, and the Stanford Cardinal football team rolling out to play their biggest opponent, Cal. This time, however, the focus is not only on what it is to be one of the most important Pac-12 games of the season. Many are also paying close attention to the Stanford's stellar running back, Christian McCaffrey. I had the opportunity to interview him and ask him a couple of questions regarding his thoughts on his second year as a Stanford student and member of the football team.

Christian hails from Castle Rock, Colorado and comes from a huge football family. His father, who played for the Broncos, Giants, and 49ers, also attended Stanford University as an undergraduate.

When asked who he looked up to, McCaffrey said, “My parents and my older brother,” citing them both as massive influences.

He said that they were all very important to him growing up and helped him develop his passion for football. McCaffrey also feels a very special connection to Stanford since both of his parents are Stanford alumni.

"[Stanford is] an amazing school that is both academically and athletically competent… and filled with amazing people who are good at what they do," he said.

McCaffrey is always impressed by what he sees on a day-to-day basis on campus and always tries to make the most of his time at Stanford. He also feels a strong connection to the football team.

“On the team, we have been through a lot together... we enjoy the time we spend together, bonding through tough workouts and training.”

McCaffrey said he has grown a lot since he first joined the Cardinal Red and feels great satisfaction and pride after working hard and winning games.

“I think the toughest challenge we had was against Northwestern… we, as a team, always look back on that and try not to make that same mistakes that we did, and always look forward to our games,” McCaffrey said, when asked about an obstacle that the team had to overcome this year.

He said that, after that loss, the team came together and fought as a collective whole, using the loss as motivation to keep moving forward and win games. Their effort is paying off. McCaffrey said that the team qualified to go to a Bowl game this year, but they do not know where they will be playing yet. He also gives thanks to all those who support him in pursuit of the Heisman trophy.

“Thank you to everyone who has supported me and who have believed in me for all these years,” McCaffrey said.

McCaffrey hopes the spotlight won’t only be on him, but the whole team, saying that everyone is amazing at what they do. He hopes that everyone echoes the success of each victory for the team.

“There are so many things that go on before, during, and after a game, that it becomes difficult to quantify what happens during my day,” McCaffrey said.

Nonetheless, he maintains his composure and makes time for football, academics, and normal college life.

“I want to major in STS [Science, Technology, and Society], and I love listening to music, making time to hang out with my friends, and bond with my teammates, family, and people I meet… and my favorite classes are STS 1 (The Public Life of Science and Technology) and ENGR 103 (Public Speaking),” McCaffrey said.

When asked him about what piece of advice he would give high school students who look up to him, he said, “If you really want something, go for it. There is no business doing something you don’t want to do. There is no point in working at something you aren’t truly passionate about. It doesn’t matter where you are, if you work hard and go for your dream, good things will happen.”

When asked about anything that he would like to say to his peers at Stanford, McCaffrey said, “Please, be loud, and rowdy. It gets the team so pumped up when you all are chanting and cheering, and we appreciate the love from all the fans coming out and supporting us at our games. It gets us so fired up, you don’t even know.”

McCaffrey has broken multiple records and is on his way to football stardom. For now, he is taking it one week at a time and loves the support that he gets from the Stanford student body. Go Christian, and go Card!

Stanford will be playing in their 118th Big Game against Cal at home on November 20th and face off against Notre Dame on the 28th.